Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So you decided not to go check the temp on your 2 hoses, how do you expect to find and repair this issue if you can't follow simple suggestions?
I haven't done anything yet; the things I stated prior to this were things I'd done before hopping on the forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO - your RAVE be da same as mine, and you will find these pikturz in the electrical manual, on most pages for connectors. So look up the wiring diagrams, find the connector number, pop up the page for that connector, and BAM! there it is, just like I sent you. An man, those Rovers they took the pictures of don't look nothing like mine, no grime, no six quarts of old Valvoline; it is disgusting how clean they are.

Now since you were sent the picture of the item and where it is, has that helped you? That is what you asked for.

Here is black and white from the air conditioning section of the RAVE, it shows the fan about six inches from the color picture of connector previously sent.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
temp sensor.pdf (163.4 KB, 917 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
IMHO - your RAVE be da same as mine, and you will find these pikturz in the electrical manual, on most pages for connectors. So look up the wiring diagrams, find the connector number, pop up the page for that connector, and BAM! there it is, just like I sent you. An man, those Rovers they took the pictures of don't look nothing like mine, no grime, no six quarts of old Valvoline; it is disgusting how clean they are.

Now since you were sent the picture of the item and where it is, has that helped you? That is what you asked for.

Here is black and white from the air conditioning section of the RAVE, it shows the fan about six inches from the color picture of connector previously sent.

Suprisingly, mine was just as clean as the one in the picture - I guess it was owned by an old lady who just drove it to church and back (that MUST be why it only has 60,000 miles on it)...

but yes, that did help. Turns out it was just low on coolant - so my bad. but thanks for the help!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01d2Jeff
Suprisingly, mine was just as clean as the one in the picture - I guess it was owned by an old lady who just drove it to church and back (that MUST be why it only has 60,000 miles on it)...

but yes, that did help. Turns out it was just low on coolant - so my bad. but thanks for the help!
Unfortunately, that is not a good thing. Coolant doesn't just disappear, and if you were low enough to lose flow to the heater core, there is likely an issue somewhere. Make sure you bleed the system with the bleeder screw when adding the new coolant, and then look for where you are losing it. Hopefully it is just a hose and you will see some under the truck. Otherwise, start to check for the symptoms of a head gasket.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Unfortunately, that is not a good thing. Coolant doesn't just disappear, and if you were low enough to lose flow to the heater core, there is likely an issue somewhere. Make sure you bleed the system with the bleeder screw when adding the new coolant, and then look for where you are losing it. Hopefully it is just a hose and you will see some under the truck. Otherwise, start to check for the symptoms of a head gasket.

Yeah, I've been keeping a close eye on the coolant level. I think the only reason it got that low is because I had to take a last-minute 1000 mile roadtrip. It's got a leak somewhere, slow but steady. It marks its territory for sure!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The time to deal with a slow coolant leak is now, as it will only get worse. You can borrow a coolant pressure tester for free from auto parts store, run it up to 20 PSI, and wait for leaks , like 30 minutes. Might be a hose clamp, bottom of coolant jug, hard to see; or water pump; or where ever. Here's a layout, lots of places for a small leak.

If you think it might be in the oil, oil will be milky when drained.

If you think it might be going out the tail pipe (head gasket leak) there may be a sweet smell, and might hear bubbles flowing thru heater core. There is a $50 chemical test (and it will test like 16 cars) from auto parts store for combustion gas in coolant. Might be a candidate for stop leak to delay when you have to do the head gaskets.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling 2.PDF (718.4 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling

The time to deal with a slow coolant leak is now, as it will only get worse. You can borrow a coolant pressure tester for free from auto parts store, run it up to 20 PSI, and wait for leaks , like 30 minutes. Might be a hose clamp, bottom of coolant jug, hard to see; or water pump; or where ever. Here's a layout, lots of places for a small leak.

If you think it might be in the oil, oil will be milky when drained.

If you think it might be going out the tail pipe (head gasket leak) there may be a sweet smell, and might hear bubbles flowing thru heater core. There is a $50 chemical test (and it will test like 16 cars) from auto parts store for combustion gas in coolant. Might be a candidate for stop leak to delay when you have to do the head gaskets.
Thanks, I'll look into it. No head gasket issues yet (or no symptoms of it anyways). I'm going to venture a guess and say it's a leaky hose, as it leaves a very small puddle of coolant on the ground and there is a little coolant on the front driveshaft. Normal condensation in the exhaust on a chilly morning, no white smoke, no rough idle. I'll know a little more once my ultra-gauge arrives this afternoon and I can keep an eye on the engine temp.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Probably AC condesation drain on drive shaft, which BTW, is your grease-able?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Probably AC condesation drain on drive shaft, which BTW, is your grease-able?
Yes - driveshaft is greasable.

not AC condensation - it's ecto-cooler green (I've already replaced the dex-cool).