Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Gotta make some time either this weekend or next and do this.

I really appreciate your help.
No problem, it's extremely straight forward and to the point if you just focus on what needs to be done, he shows a lot of stuff on that page that you don't even need to pay attention to.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Question for Street Wolf and ebg18t: When you did your modulator repair, did you replace the shuttle valve seals? If so, were you able to replace them with the modulator still in the vehicle?

One of the reasons the shuttle valve switch fails if from the ingress of brake fluid past the shuttle valve seals. If the tips of the shuttle valve are wet with brake fluid, and you either ONLY perform the option B repair and/or replace the switch, the new switch is going to fail again due to the leaking fluid, regardless of the option B repair.

If the shuttle valve switch is dry, then your seals aren't leaking (yet) and the replacement switch and/or option B repair will fix the issue (if that is even the cause of the Amigos, which you won't definitely know until you get the codes read) until the original seals start to leak.

I have stated this before in other Amigo related posts: When I replaced my switch (which tested bad) I also performed the option B repair to prevent an electrical problem in the future, as well as replacing the seals to prevent a brake fluid caused issue in the future.

Having said all that, you MAY be able to remove the shuttle valve plungers from the modulator, with the modulator still attached, if you have some 90 degree curved needle nose pliers, but I had to remove my modulator completely to access the plungers and replace the seals. I replaced the switch, seals, and did the option B repair, because I didn't want to mess with it ever again in the future.