Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 04:18 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Oil Change Question

Hi there, just wanted to intro myself....My name is Zac and I recently acquired a 99 Disco II SII. It's pretty mint with 65K on it. Full leather package and wood trim kit. I have taken the 2 back jump seats out for more room and pretty much that's it so far. I'm looking forward to bouncing questions off this forum and a few others when the time comes. My previous ride was a 2000 Dakota R/T fully modded with a race setup. I had to ditch the R/T for something I could carry my English Pointers around.

My first question. I want to do an oil change on this puppy myself. Are the oil filters standard issue I can get at any Autozone, Pepboys or similar? If so, anything to look for or stay away from? I'm in the Chicagoland area and the tems are going to start getting warm. What oil should I use. In the Dak I used the standard 10w30. Would that suffice here? About the drain plug, I haven't looked but is it easy to get to and do I need to know anything special about removing it? (I think I read somewhere about a washer that goes on it...is that reusable?)

Thanks much and I'm sure you'll see some more posts from me soon.

-Zac Anderson
Elgin, IL

www.zaxx.net
www.chicagolandrtclub.org

Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Introduction and Oil Change Question

i like rover's north 1-800-403-7591 or roversnorth.co - they got it all!

Old 05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
6th Gear

I'm familiar with Rovers North and Atlantic British but that doesn't answer my questions. I *could* get the filter from there but what about them -vs- locally?

Thanks,

-Zac

Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get filter for it at autozone, napa, checker, there avail. everywhere. I only use the best, Mobil 1 oil and filters, make sure you fill filter with oil and change it out quick, may loose prime.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if they didnt change the exaust setup in 5 years, you cant get the plug off with a ratchet. i had to special order a 29mm wrench, which after all that time didnt fit perfectly, but was good enough. they sent me a bunch of them for some reason. so if you want one ill send you one for $20 strait up.

look in your user manual for the oil chart. i think 5W40 (or 30?) was the best, but autozone didnt have any cases in stock at the time so i went for 10W40 Mobil. and i would recomend some sort of engine treatment. i also used a Fram Tough Guard oil filter. mainly because i do a bit of driving in the dirt.