Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That jeep bumper is the tits.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

It's so friggin' absurd to say that my bumper is going to fly off and injure someone. Jesus, that's really reaching pal. It's so friggin' absurd to say the bumper has to be mounted with bolts instead of welding. Whats going to happen? The mounts will bend? The angle iron will stretch like playdough? The 10k PSI welds will crack? The whole truck will burst into flames? Whats the exact issue with the way the bumper is mounted that you with your structural engineering degree deem insufficient?

I'm showing everyone the bad *** 270 dollar bumper that can be welded to the frame and body in 30 mins.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

okay, since you want to make public this matter.
your post of this jeep bumper on someone else's bumper thread is in fact poor form. it is no different than undercutting another's rover price, in that person's vehicle for sale thread. the right thing to do is start your own thread and boast of your findings and savings. you kind of did that, but the personal attack parts are still not in line with this forum. you are, obviously, entitled to think what you want of others. however, consistently, calling someone a **** or ****ol*or ****hea*of di****** is just not going to work. while myself and many others might not be offended by it, it's just not the place for it.

I would like to think that we can express frustration or disapproval, without the vulgar name calling. please use some of that same creativity, that you used on that jeep bumper.

and that jeep bumper company seems to be a much larger "corporation"......and I do not think that you are getting rich off of this thread?

Last edited by dusty1; 06-27-2015 at 06:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dusty1:
acg (06-27-2015), drowssap (06-29-2015), Joemamma1954 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

So you need to Google two things now.
1) Kinetic Straps
2) Tact

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Amazing. I answered your question by telling you what that guy meant, and you pretend like I was the guy that asked the question? And I don't think bringing up kickbacks is reaching, being that my posts get deleted when I criticize certain companies overpriced crap products.

Says the guy with HIS NUMBER ON A PUBLIC FORUM WHERE PEOPLE CALL HIM FOR ADVICE ALL THE TIME AND HE GIVES IT FOR FREE. Yeah I'm a real bad guy, ya got me bro.
I've worked on land rovers since 2001. I've worked on cars since I was 14. I worked in my fathers metal fabrication shop since I was 8. I'm pretty sure I have a grasp of this crap by now.

Me
"How much does Lucky8 guy pay you to go around deleting posts he doesn't like? Does he pay you straight through paypal or do you get parts discounts?
cmon, you know you'd have to be out of your mind to buy that piece of **** bumper."

Mod
"They don't pay any of us, we deal with it all for free, but it is extremely bad form to post links to things for sale in someone's thread.
I don't even know if Lucky8 saw the post or not I just noticed it. You can feel free to critique the bumper but posting links to others for sale is not appropriate. You can start another thread on the jeep bumper or join the one already in progress."

Me
"How is posting a link to a 3x more economical and better looking bumper bad form? If anything, DELETING the post is bad form. I am helping to educate the forum visitors about a way better bumper. By deleting my comment, you are trying to keep them in the dark. Why not let the people decide which bumper is better? Because lucky8 will stop greasing your palm?

And so on and so on....

Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Please let me know where to get my kickbacks and free stuff. getting tired of paying for rover parts so guess I am doing something wrong

Feel free to click my links and look at my stuff, IMO lucky 8 has good prices , way better then some others I have dealt with

Can't we all just get along

Last edited by TOM R; 06-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Whats going to happen?
The mounts will bend? - Very likely under stresses commonly encountered during off-road recovery or impact that isn't square on..
The angle iron will stretch like playdough? While angle iron is certainly prone to collapse when stretched, probably not.
The 10k PSI welds will crack? - From the looks of them, certainly possible, but hard to say for sure. How many of your welds have you subjected to non-destructive testing, or even destructive testing? But there is also the potential failure of the base metal heat affected zone.
The whole truck will burst into flames? - Probably not, since it's not very close to the fuel lines or tank. On the other hand, in some locations a failure during recovery could allow the vehicle to end up with a damaged/leaking fuel tank, so i guess you can't rule it out.
See above

Old 06-28-2015, 12:42 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Damn moderators, getting rich one gasket at a time.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You guys take this foruming WAAAYYYYY too seriously. Dudes, dudes, of course I don't think any of you get anything from anyone for moderating in their favor. I'm busting your *****. Again, its a $300 car. All antichrist concerns are based on speculations. 1. Angle iron is somehow not sufficient (opinion) 2. My welds are garbage. (opinion)

You have to back arguments with fact. Or your argument is an opinion, and you cant argue your opinion.

And that bumper went up in price!
A whopping 10 bucks.

07 15 Jeep Wrangler JK Rock Crawler Front Bumper 2X D Ring Winch Plate Ready | eBay

Old 06-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix

extra butter, light on the salt please.. oh, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese This is getting good but I may have to cover my eyes soon

Old 06-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

And yours are based on opinions as well.
All antichrist concerns are based on speculations.
1. Angle iron is somehow not sufficient (opinion) - Yes, opinion based on experience as a welder/fitter welding pressure vessels, chemical plant work, industrial boiler repair, managing a machine shop, doing high rise construction and equipment fabrication and repair for the largest road construction company in New England.
2. My welds are garbage. (opinion) - I never said they are garbage, I said they aren't perfect (fact) and any tensile or shear claims are based on perfect welds.
I do give you credit for admitting in your second post that it really should be done with proper brackets and others shouldn't copy your method.
Yeah I would suggest fabbing brackets, but in my case on my $300 truck, welding it to the frame was fine.
In any case, if you don't want honest feedback about things, it's probably not a good idea to post them.

Quick Reply: That jeep bumper is the tits.