Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just admit it, It would be B.A.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wikipedia has a nice break down of the entire GMC/Detroit diesel line for anyone interested the time line of the GMC/Detroit diesel. I found this months ago when I was researching different options for my FSJ.
I recently sold a few other vehicles in order to Clean up the used truck-car lot in our driveway. Among my recent sales was a 7.3L Turbo diesel in a 2000 F-250 4X4,my diesel 300 series Benz that ran on WVO and B99,as well as another pristine Jeep and my Street Bike as well.
This brings me to the only diesel engines I'm still even remotely interested in; the 4BT, the 7.3L late model Powerstroke T.D.,and the 5 cylinder T.D. in the W126 series Benz that I sold to a buddy with 300K and I't is still running like a top(these are the million mile engines). Just as a point of reference The 7.3L Powerstroke is a massive engine as well and would make any Land Rover extremely nose heavy providing it fit after a plasma cutting body lifting frenzy to get various accessories and oil pans to clear all kinds of stock Rover parts that would be coming along for the ride as well.
Quite honestly I personally have no interest in swapping out my "4.0" N.A. gas engine in my Discovery II any time soon(Knock on wood). The only swaps that really make sense are the swaps that use the OEM engines the Gentleman from the UK suggested. I have no idea if this is true but judging from the way the rest of the Disco was built the engine mounts are possibly already in the Disco anyone who knows feel free to pop in and correct me here.
If you ever follow any of these build ups with a high torque diesel into a 4X4 with a much smaller engine unless you shell out mega $$ on the drivetrain it just demolishes anything stock with a specific maximum torque rating of the stock engine on them. This is especially true if you subject the stock drive train and mega heavy mega torque engine combo to the unknown load of off road obstacles.

Last edited by JMON; 07-11-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Missed an I
Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know someone who is going to do a mechanical 300TDI and 5 speed swap into his Disco. Oh man, I can't wait to see it!!!

I found a 1990 diesel 2 door Disco for sale on UK autotrader for get this: ₤500!!!!

Man alive, I would love to get my hands on one of those...