Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 04 Disco SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just bought 04 Disco SE

Hi. New here. Tons of great info - unparalleled anywhere on the web!

Anyway, I recently bought a 2004 Disco SE w/ almost 92K miles. I bought it for $10K. I saw others in the NYC/NJ area that were 2003 for the same price so I thought it was a decent price - albeit not the best across the country.

In short, I test drove it, looked under the hood, Carfax checked, and looked over some service records. I was happy with everything. Still am, for the most part.

The service engine soon light and 3 amigos came on the same night I picked it up. Perhaps, they power washed it where they weren't supposed to during PDI? I don't know. The 3 amigos did not come back on the next day. It did two days later and now it hasn't shown up for about a week. As far as the service engine soon light, thanks to this forum, I purchased an OBDII scanner and got an O2 Bank 1 error. The dealer confirmed and will be changing both pre-cat (upstream?) O2 sensors first thing tomorrow morning.

The 3 amigos has yet to be seen again and the dealer did not get any ABS error codes when they checked (twice.) I'll be picking up the Amigo scanner just in case anyway.

The Disco runs and looks fantastic! However, I know performance will improve once the O2 sensors go in tomorrow.

Just yesterday, the front passenger side window make a popping sound when I raised/closed it. When I tried to open it again, it wouldn't open more than 1 inch and would pop when raised back up. Following the RAVE manual (and some posts here) I just took apart the door trim/casing and tried to look to see if there were missing or worn teeth or bent arms on the regulator. Nothing. Truth be told, I was losing daylight and will give it another go tomorrow with full sunshine and better lighting. The water shedder/barrier looked brand new (i.e., fully in tact) so that was somewhat comforting that no one was messing around in there before I bought it. I couldn't pull it completely off because it's attached to a hard clear plastic that is bolted on behind the door handle.

I'll let you know what I see (and post some pics) when I go back in there tomorrow. Hopefully, it's just a loose bolt... but I'll be ready to replace the regulator or motor if not.

-Anthony

Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to roverdom. lol be nice to the 3 amigos. I just went thru all that wheni bought mine. Had to fix the amigos.. Put a o2 sensor in.. Etc etc. Mines an 03. You'll love it. Plan on doing any wheeling in it?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you! I will.

And, yes, some light wheeling will be in order late Summer/early Fall (once we get a second newer vehicle). But the main reason I went with the 04 Rover, aside from its looks, is a combination of price, space, and winter driving (for the times we get hit in the Northeast.) For the most part - about 95% - on-road though.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default welcome

Welcome to the short bus crew....

Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do not need any special tools to change the O2's just a 7/8 open end wrench. Sounds like the plastic roller on your window regulator is worn, pretty common.

Willie

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for that info. I would change it myself (pretty mechanical,) but since it's been less than 15 days since I bought it, the dealer is covering the cost of the part (OEM) and labor. I'll do the downstream ones myself soon.

Are the bolts holding the regulator to the door 10mm?

-Anthony

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, the O2 sensors (upstream) were replaced this morning.
I drove straight to motor vehicle inspection.

Everything seemed great, no more engine light, the oxygen sensor codes returned "READY," however...

Two things returned "NOT READY" and they were:
  • Evaporative System
  • Secondary Air Injection

I also confirmed it with my scanner. They rejected the inspection and said to drive it one more week and/or 100 miles or so and come back. That it "has to cycle" since the tech cleared the codes, it takes a while for these to register.

Is that true? I can't imagine that the ECM doesn't check on these frequently or at least during every run.

-Anthony

Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Just checked on drive cycles in RAVE...
they - motor vehicle inspectors - were just generalizing drive cycles to me in laymen terms.

With that said, I've kept records of my previous codes since I've bought the vehicle 3 weeks ago and the Evap system has *always* returned a NOT READY. The good news is that in NJ, for vehicles 2001 and later, one NOT READY will be OK to pass. Two or more will fail. I'm hoping the Secondary Air Injection returns READY since it has before.

-Anthony

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Update:

This morning, cold started, let idle for 3 minutes and tested. Secondary Air System is finally READY. And with no codes present, MIL OFF, I'm all set to pass inspection despite the Evap Sys reading NOT READY, because, as I said before, in NJ 2001 and later models are allowed one NOT READY.

-Anthony