Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just the first few months!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just the first few months!

Purchased an '01 DII a few months ago with 183k on it and was quickly introduced to my new money pit! I was reluctant to get it with the following improvements: new alternator, coolant hoses, rotors, brakes, airbags, 5 new BFG KO's and it has a front driveshaft that looks just like the one on BP of Utah minus the blue boots but does have all the grease points. I have been grazing the forums here getting very much needed info on certain topics and have been very greatful for the vast amount of input from everyone. I was fortunate to experience the wonderful replacement of my crankcase sensor about a month after purchase! The most fun one handed mechanical job I can ever remember performing. Oh, and it was purchased with the three amigos on and the odometer flashing. The past week, I have been informed by my DII that I have too much money sitting around so the front drive shaft has developed its squeak and also heard a slight grinding from the front 3rd member area only during acceleration. Removed the driveshaft and locked the center diff lock and both the squeak and grinding are gone. Figured that as long as there is no torque on the front yoke, there would be no binding on the third member to cause the hard mesh of the teeth. I do not have a long list of non major things to upgrade and repair on the mighty DII (as long as it knows I didn't just write that!) but with just having the rear wheel drive and center diff locked, will there be any damage caused by just driving around town until each weekend comes around that I can tackle the driveline issues once I get the parts in? And again thanks to all for the info to guide me to the quick and simple searches for the right parts

Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Should be ok driving 2wd, no donuts on the asphalt. You may want to invest in a scanner or ultra gauge to keep an eyeball on true coolant temp. 180F after market thermostat is a good fit for many. Put your location in your signature, some members might have a club nearby, know the best boneyard, indy garage, etc. And download the RAVE if you have not already.