Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a '98 D1 LSE; alarm troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a '98 D1 LSE; alarm troubles

Hello all,

I recently got a used '98 Disco LSE and its got a few issues. The most annoying of which is that when I turn off the vehicle and remove the key, often times the horn will start this very fast chirping and the light on the dash will blink rappidly. If I keep trying I can usually get the key out with out the horn going off, but it is very annoying. I have had a new key made from the key code that came with the vehicle and it shows the same behavior as the old, worn down, key that came with the D1.

The vehicle didn't come with the key fobs and I can't seem to get all the doors to lock or unlock using the drivers side door key lock. I noticed that the alarm fuses have been pulled out, so I put some back in their slots and the horn started honking very loudly until I removed the fuses again.

I figure that I need to take it up to a dealer and get the alarm system serviced, but in the meantime is there some way I can disable the honking when I try to take the key out? I have thought of disconnecting the horn, but I would still like to have a horn when I want to use it while driving. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Just got a '98 D1 LSE; alarm troubles

bump for you as I'm having the EXACT same issue. Very annoying and I can't figure this one out.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The solution to my problems turned out to be two-fold. The Ignition switch (turn key) has worn very badly, so it causing the key related problems. The other problems seem to have come from the previous owner (or their mechanic) messing with the alarm ECU and bending some pins. I took it to a local rover mechanic and they fixed me up. I still need to get the key fobs (I just use the key in the door to lock-arm/unlock-disarm the vehicle), but every thing else is working.

Kinda annoying because I now have two keys, one for the ignition, and one for the rest, but usable.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I fixed this issue myself since I bumped this thread last week....

My car was doing the EXACT same thing...

I though I'd have to pull the whole dash apart to check the alarm relays but it turned out to be a real real simple fix.

After getting a service manual I decided to check the grounds, found the alarm ground had some play, then I checked out the fuse box, #13 was blown, which is an alarm fuse. Replaced it, plugged the car battery in, now the alarm goes off, locked the car with my key, alarm went off all the doors locked. I put my fob near the car, pressed the right button 8 times then the left once and the fob fired right back up. Hope this helps.