Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just want a quick confirmation about a MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to find a vacuum hose located on the driver side of the intake manifold with a fissure running from the clamp to about 1/2 inch, I notice a slight change in the idle after I spray it with carb cleaner, so i tape it and all the problems gone for a few miles, then the check engine light came back on, so i check the battery terminals, the negative was loose so I tighten the terminal and the problem was gone for a few miles until the gas tank was near empty, that's when I realize the injector were probably clogged from using altered gas, here in south Florida you do not get quality unleaded gas, it is all altered but no one tell the consumer, we been getting raped by politician and local official that think the citizen are stupid, and unfortunately they are getting away with it because we do not have anyone to represent us, gas here sucks big time, there has been instances were car do not make it out of the gas station due to the fact the gas was mixed with water or gas such as sulfur.
Anyhow, thanks to this forum I was able to narrow down the problem, now that I know what it is I will have to ask you all how good is your gas, or our you getting shafted as we are here in Miami

Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Any better results when you use premium?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Any better results when you use premium?
My disco does not know what unleaded or mid unleaded gas it is, i always fill it up with premium although I have been told never to fill up an SUV with premium gas since the engine is not high performance for, I think is all BS, you are what you eat,same apply to our discos, so if you feed your truck crap, you get crap performance in return.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

The ECU fuel map is set up for premium, so performance and mpg will suffer if it is not used. It will still run, just not as well. A number of owners have posted about better mpg with premium, so that could help offset the price change.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I still have all of the original codes. The engine runs amazing and it has the upgraded plug wires, new plugs, fresh oil, new MAF, and no leaks that I could find while spraying the Brake Cleaner. I am all out of ideas especially since the truck is running well. The only unfortunate part is I'm sure my gas mileage is in the crapper because of whatever is causing this code.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling

I also have new O2 sensors in the front banks but I believe the rears are original. Could that cause this issue or would there be a more specific O2 sensor code?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Had a local LR guy check it out. I have codes 1171, 1174, 0102, and 0130.

Did a search but there is just too much info and not enough actual specific fix thread. Or maybe I've been under it too long today.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

P0130 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 1, sensor 1) Front sensor LH bank stoichiometric ratio outside operating band

P0102 Mass or volume air flow low input MAF signal < minimum threshold, which is speed dependent

P1171 System too lean (bank 1) Additive injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit exceeded LH bank

IMHO - since P0102 can be caused by low airflow thru the MAF, perhaps start with air filter. And since engine speed does not match what it should be with airflow indicated by sensor, you could also have a split in the hose between MAF and throttle body, or loose fit; so "un-metered" air is getting in there and the computer can't account for it. Or a good vacuum leak.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-16-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Three Wheeling

The air filter is brand new. Napa Gold and its never had a K&N so there wasn't an oil treated filter. I've checked for leaks and came up empty handed. The airbox is in good shape, no broken clamps, and the engine is running great aside from probably poor mileage

My other guess, which I'm going to look at after I do the SVS mod today is a dirty O2 connector. I have a pretty good oil leak and the connectors are fairly dirty. I'm wondering if that could be the cause.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe check and reseat MAF connector as well. Or clean MAF with made for it spray when stone cold.

Quick Reply: Just want a quick confirmation about a MAF