Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kevlar Goodyear MT/R's?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011 | 11:40 AM
Drifting

I just found a set of 5 brand new (never mounted or on the road) retread Goodyear MT/Rs for $510.00 – not mounted or anything. That will cost me another $80.00. After reading this I'm not sure I want to go this way. I drive about 15 miles to work each day on highway. Plan on doing some off-road fun once I get tires on the Disco. Around here it will be swamp and sandy banks off-road and not much rock or dry surface.

My other option is Cooper Discoverers AT for $640 mounted and balanced. We run these on our service trucks and they hold up pretty good. Our service trucks do a lot of highway and service road traveling (wet and dry) and very little “real” off road work. The only other tire we run is the Yokohama Geolanders AT. I’ve had these and never had any issues but again they cost a little more. But I’ve never really had them in off-road conditions. These get used on our sales trucks which are mainly city/highway but occasionally go down service roads.

Where is the best deal on the Duratracs? I'm not finding them for less than $175 a piece!! Not sure I want to drop $900+ on tires just yet.

I'm real green when it comes to the off-road world so I want to make sure I'm getting something that will last and still give me a great off-road ability. I’d hate to get off-road and find out I went further than my tires will. All I've heard is "don't buy off-road tires" so I'm not sure.

Last edited by LRDII2000; 02-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2011 | 02:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by LRDII2000
I just found a set of 5 brand new (never mounted or on the road) retread Goodyear MT/Rs for $510.00 – not mounted or anything. That will cost me another $80.00. After reading this I'm not sure I want to go this way. I drive about 15 miles to work each day on highway. Plan on doing some off-road fun once I get tires on the Disco. Around here it will be swamp and sandy banks off-road and not much rock or dry surface.

My other option is Cooper Discoverers AT for $640 mounted and balanced. We run these on our service trucks and they hold up pretty good. Our service trucks do a lot of highway and service road traveling (wet and dry) and very little “real” off road work. The only other tire we run is the Yokohama Geolanders AT. I’ve had these and never had any issues but again they cost a little more. But I’ve never really had them in off-road conditions. These get used on our sales trucks which are mainly city/highway but occasionally go down service roads.

Where is the best deal on the Duratracs? I'm not finding them for less than $175 a piece!! Not sure I want to drop $900+ on tires just yet.

I'm real green when it comes to the off-road world so I want to make sure I'm getting something that will last and still give me a great off-road ability. I’d hate to get off-road and find out I went further than my tires will. All I've heard is "don't buy off-road tires" so I'm not sure.
just buy the best that you can afford for your need. its not a contest.

Old 02-21-2011 | 02:11 PM
Drifting

LOL "not a contest"!!

I know that. I've always been a sports car driver and my Subaru is the closest thing to off-road I've ever owned before the Disco.

No contest here - I'm just asking you guys (the ones that do this off-road stuff) if I'm buying crap or something I don't need.

I hate wasting money and enjoy the fact so far you guys have given me some great info on this truck to keep me from throwing money away on it.

Just thought I would throw out the 2 options I found and get some feed back on them. Seems like you can pretty much find anything for these at any price. I haven't ever dealt with retreads and things like this since you never do a retread on vehicles that can do 150+mph!!

I'm just SCARED man!!!

Old 02-21-2011 | 02:16 PM
TReK

i would save up for the duratracs if i was you. thats just me though

Old 02-21-2011 | 02:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
i would save up for the duratracs if i was you. thats just me though
That looks like the best plan.

The hunt begins.

Old 02-21-2011 | 02:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by LRDII2000
That looks like the best plan.

The hunt begins.
if you have connections to a tire shop that will mount and balance for free then online is your best bet. otherwise they will ding ya plus you pay shipping on the tires and it ends up being a wash in the end. i ended up paying about a G for tires,mounting and balancing.

Old 02-21-2011 | 03:16 PM
Drifting

I'm working with a local shop right now. The guys thinks he can get me on a set of Duratracs (255/70 R16) for $700 out the door. But this only gets me 4 tires which sucks ba**s since my spare will be the Michelin hanging back there right now. Will just be used to get me out of a pickle if I lose a tire.