Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key broke off in ignition, light is red?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation key broke off in ignition, light is red?

My ignition light is red and it is usually green. hubs broke the key off in the ignition yesterday, but as we are waiting for payday (military is great!) we just drove it with the key broken. but now we can't get the tumbler to turn and the ignition light is red. we can probably get a locksmith out tuesday, but not any sooner than that. any suggestions? i have to work tomorrow and need to be able to drive myself to work. thanks!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

See attached - is this the light you speak of? If on steady, you are "immobilized" .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 light.pdf (501.1 KB, 332 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

also see this for work arounds https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...highlight=lock - if you decide to take it apart, do the work over a big bowl or cookie sheet, tiny parts can go in many directions at once. Also good to show locksmith.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Overlanding

no that one isn't on, i don't think. its the light around where you actually put the key in. i'm pretty sure it used to be green. we're worried that its an anti-theft thing. we can't turn the key forward at all to activate the dash lights to see whats on.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

look at these - there is a switch that detects when the sensor key is inserted, so a broken key may be keeping that from working. The schematic I have just shows that as a regular interior bulb, don't see anything about color change, but I guess it could be.

Attached Files
passive coil.pdf (409.6 KB, 172 views)
coil 2.pdf (528.6 KB, 124 views)
coil 3.pdf (447.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Drifting

I would swear mine is always red ... will take a look when I get home tonight.

This is a totally crazy suggestion that I dunno if it can cause other problems, but I might try a dab of super glue or my all-time favorite liquid nails to "rejoin" the parts of the key. With something like liquid nails you have to be VERY careful you do not use too much as you could seal that broken piece in there real good.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I know it sounds dumb, but make sure the wheel is not locked. Give a tug on it while turning the key if it is....Otherwise, can you use tweezers to pull out the key stub?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Also, if you have shop vac, and extremely small drill bit, you can vac (to remove any shavings) and drill a tiny hole in edge of broken piece and screw in a small screw point and remove. Might even be able to use a bent point, like a dental pick, and pull out.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Overlanding

hmm....hubs wants to take apart the tumbler and just drive it with a screwdriver for a while and get some new keys cut. i wanted to do the super glue thing, but i'm scared to seal the key in there forever

Old 10-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi,

I just went out and checked my 2000 DII SD and when I place the key in the ignition, the plastic circular ring around the ignition is red.

It is also red when I turn it to either position and it remains red after the truck is started and placed in reverse or drive.

Hope this helps!

Art

Quick Reply: key broke off in ignition, light is red?