Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob

Recently bought a Discovery II that had it's ignition changed out, but it didn't have the door lock changed out match. It seems that I was naive in thinking that acquiring a key fob that would work with the still functioning door locks would be a simple task.

I have read across various threads on various forums, and frankly, there has generally been too many technical details for me to follow what is going to be the simplest/most affordable fix. I have found someone who is willing to sell a used fob from another disco (a 2002, mine being a 2001), and I am curious as to whether or not this can actually be reprogrammed by a locksmith or even a dealer or if I simply need to get a brand new key fob. Some places I have read say this is the way the to go (I think?) and some don't.

Just want a more clear idea of what I should be pursuing to resolve my problem.

I have also toyed with taking out the driver door lock and having a locksmith rekey a key just for that door. In doing so I realized that the tumbler has already been disconnected from the actuator... Furthermore, I haven't been able to find any info specifically pertaining to either removing the door lock (not the actuator) or reinstalling it properly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Leaving the disco unlocked for now, but when I'm travelling having a reliable means to lock and unlock the vehicle is a must.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you have an ignition and a door key but they are different,
cheapest way out go to a lock smith have him copy the ignition key on one side of a new blank and cut the door lock on the other side.
Use the key to open the door flip the key to start it.

fyi yes you can buy a fob and have it programmed it will probably run you around $400

Last edited by drowssap; 04-08-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
cheapest way out go to a lock smith have him copy the ignition key on one side of a new blank and cut the door lock on the other side.

didn't know this would work...???

Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

The tumblers are only on one side. Sometimes when you have a locksmith cut a key for you, one side will work better than the other. I always have them test it both ways. I had a key that worked great one way, but would get stuck if I put it in the other way.

For the dual sided key, the challenge would be remembering which side to put in for ignition and door lock.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that's good old land rover for you they use waffers instead of tumblers

Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap

fyi yes you can buy a fob and have it programmed it will probably run you around $400
Meant to say more clearly that I don't have a key for the driver door lock at all.

I started to take out the door lock assembly in hopes that my local locksmith might be able to rekey it when I noticed it was already disconnected from the actuator. Haven't really been able to find any info on repair the actual lock connection... if only I had more common sense?

The used key fob programming seems like a quick fix... especially considering that I'm kind of tweeked out by the fact that disco's only have one external lock (wtf?). 5 of the 6 lock actuators work in the vehicle so I would think that would be a safer bet than the 1 external lock, but then again with all the electronic funkery with these things maybe not.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Baja

There are only 2 connections from the driver door lock. One is a round linkage that comes up from below and hooks in, the other is a straight pin with a mace looking g end that fits into the actuator.

If you post some photos of what you have, maybe we can help.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Baja

I would get the handle, and the remotes working.

The driver lock is sketchy because that straight pin breaks, but its nice to have it functioning in case of electrical malfunction.

I sent you a PM, where are you located? Maybe a member can help with programming.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the pm abran, I appreciate your insight abd help. I will message you if I decide to pursue any of the parts you offered.

Will be driving the rig tomorrow and hopefully can get some half way decent shots of the disconnected lock/door handle. I haven't looked at it in a couple days but I think that straight pin you referred may have in fact broke. I could be wrong.

In the meantime I'm glad to hear that a used key fob is programmable. I am in northern Minnesota so if there is a user nearby that has the know how/equipment to program the fob I'd be stoked