Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Input/Solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Input/Solution

After reviewing many threads on a low-cost option for a broken key Fob I went ahead and bought the China $15 case, key and 4 micro switches off e-bay.
My Key fob had stopped working and when I opened it up I found the 2 Micro-switches sheared off the circuit board. I knew it still worked because I ran a wire across the terminals to confirm lock/ unlock.
About a 10 min. fix with a soldering Iron and electric type solder.
Could not get them on that straight and had to use a magnifying glass but there is room for error with the big buttons on the plastic case.
Works perfect so far.
Thanks for the Old Threads!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link for the micro switches? I'm missing the unlock switch on my fob.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here Ya go!......it was very easy to do and I have big hands: I used a tiny dash of solder , tweezers and had someone hold a magnifying glass; took a few minutes is all.
It's from China like I said so it's cheap but took about a week or so to get.........
2 Button Remote Key Fob Case Shell for Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 V8 Repair Kits | eBay

Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VTRover
Do you have a link for the micro switches? I'm missing the unlock switch on my fob.
More Options:
discovery fob switch | eBay It appears the Rectangle ones are the ones wanted.

Or, depending on where you live, you can get a Light Switch at Home Depot for less than $1.

I mean, you wouldn't want to do this in Downtown New York, that would just be silly, because the Valet Parking guys would probably break the wires.

Attached Thumbnails Key Fob Input/Solution-redneckkeyfobrepair.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 05-23-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new key fob (from po) that was uncut and the remote unlock didn't work, the red light didn't blink on the fob... but all of a sudden now it does! I pocket pressed the unlock the other day on accident and it unlocked the car!! WOW!! Tried a few more times and the red light would blink when I press it.. but sometimes when I press the button and the red light won't blink and of course won't unlock car. Seems like if I push down the general area hard it works more consistently than when I just press the button.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung
I have a new key fob (from po) that was uncut and the remote unlock didn't work, the red light didn't blink on the fob... but all of a sudden now it does! I pocket pressed the unlock the other day on accident and it unlocked the car!! WOW!! Tried a few more times and the red light would blink when I press it.. but sometimes when I press the button and the red light won't blink and of course won't unlock car. Seems like if I push down the general area hard it works more consistently than when I just press the button.
Often times, the contacts on the switch need to be cleaned. I use Electronics Cleaner, or Rubbing Alcohol. Electronics cleaner works best on these small switches because it can spray into the switch.

You might also have a bad solder connection on the switch. Pressing hard will cause the switch to move down and make the connection. You should solder this connection, or find someone that can do it for you.