Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've carried mine around for two weeks and still don't have it cut. It's a sweet fob and reminds me of my RX8, but I've never had a spare cut right for my rovers so I feel I already now how this will turn out.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Not sure why you wouldn't order another one when the place you took it to are the one's that f'ed up. The key/fob itself is great.
Because the guy who cut it said the blank was slightly the wrong size for our keys. Something about the shoulder being off or something to that effect.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeRideSLR
Because the guy who cut it said the blank was slightly the wrong size for our keys. Something about the shoulder being off or something to that effect.
The guy that messed mine up said the same thing, but that's not quite true. The first side he cut matches my key perfectly. The second side he tried to cut he started to high due to the shape of the key base. This caused the shoulder to appear "off" but in truth the shoulder on the blank key is actually cut back during the process. It can be done, but you need to find a locksmith with some experience. The guy I used supposedly had the experience, but still asked me to go try the key even though it was clearly not symmetrically cut. See the pic below. Left side is correct. Right side is incorrect and clearly shows that the shoulder is cut back during the process.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunate, but it can be done correctly. Mine is flawless, you will just have to research who is known to be the best in your area it seems.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmiccharlie
The guy that messed mine up said the same thing, but that's not quite true. The first side he cut matches my key perfectly. The second side he tried to cut he started to high due to the shape of the key base. This caused the shoulder to appear "off" but in truth the shoulder on the blank key is actually cut back during the process. It can be done, but you need to find a locksmith with some experience. The guy I used supposedly had the experience, but still asked me to go try the key even though it was clearly not symmetrically cut. See the pic below. Left side is correct. Right side is incorrect and clearly shows that the shoulder is cut back during the process.

Just tried to have mine cut. Same issues as above. Locksmith with over 30 years experience. He said the key was the wrong size, shouldler was off. Needless to say, he screwed up the key blank. I'm debating if I want to order another and give it another go.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first guy I took mine to wouldn't even touch the key, and that's a shop here for over 20 years. I think I will take it to the locksmith that cut a spare for me a while ago. It took him two tries but eventually got it right. Let's hope he does it right the first time! BTW I never got my "Rover Wings", kinda jealous. Might make a logo to fit in the button myself.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eitydeuce
The first guy I took mine to wouldn't even touch the key, and that's a shop here for over 20 years. I think I will take it to the locksmith that cut a spare for me a while ago. It took him two tries but eventually got it right. Let's hope he does it right the first time! BTW I never got my "Rover Wings", kinda jealous. Might make a logo to fit in the button myself.
I'll send you mine if you want. My locksmith messed up the blank, and I'm not going to bother with it.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I will wait until I get mine cut too, might end up chucking it if he doesn't cut it right. I'm actually heading up there this Friday for work so I might hit up Mecca aka Summit Racing warehouse for some parts. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone that has tried to get their key cut, and it was ruined in the process. Could I get at least one of you to slip the keyfob into an envelope and mail it to me? I'd like to try experimenting with something to see if perhaps I can come up with a "simple" way for us to be able to use our old key instead of having to get the supplied blank cut. Since this seems to be a wide spread issue.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Anyone that has tried to get their key cut, and it was ruined in the process. Could I get at least one of you to slip the keyfob into an envelope and mail it to me? I'd like to try experimenting with something to see if perhaps I can come up with a "simple" way for us to be able to use our old key instead of having to get the supplied blank cut. Since this seems to be a wide spread issue.
You read my mind. Mine's in R&D right now. I feel I have a solid idea. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures