Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just throwing this out there but my thought was have the locksmith try the cut on just a cheap blank they carry that matches the new key fob blank first? Then once you have that correct have it duplicated on the flip key blank?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Just throwing this out there but my thought was have the locksmith try the cut on just a cheap blank they carry that matches the new key fob blank first? Then once you have that correct have it duplicated on the flip key blank?
Ha. My guy did this. But it turned out the blank key he chose to practice on ended up a little on the short side. It worked flawlessly but got stuck in the ignition when it came time to remove it.. I had to strip the plastic clamshell that wraps around the steering wheel and the ignition ring with the little light on it in order to free up the key. We couldn't push the key in any further to fully extract it out from the ignition. The head of the key was getting hung up on the lighted ignition ring. What a mess... Then, he cuts my flip key wrong.

Last edited by coors; 04-29-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as I was looking at the key it seems that the issue is with the shoulder part. The locksmith that cut my spare key cut it but the ignition wouldn't work either. He went back and manually cut the head of it so that the shoulder angle would match and viola it worked flawless on both. Whoever cuts it will have to be willing to do some custom grinding

Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
You read my mind. Mine's in R&D right now. I feel I have a solid idea. Stay tuned.
Awesome. Looking forward to see what comes of it. Hopefully one of us will come up with something decent. :U

Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eitydeuce
Whoever cuts it will have to be willing to do some custom grinding
No custom grinding should be needed. However it couldn't hurt to go home and try to match things up yourself if your key shop / lock smith has already made a failed cut.

I mean, if it's already ruined, what's it going to hurt is you ruin it further by accident?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My lock button is working but, my unlock isn't... Any advice? I haven't taken it in to be cut due to this issue. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by wynhd
My lock button is working but, my unlock isn't... Any advice? I haven't taken it in to be cut due to this issue. Thanks in advance.
Did it work before moving the chip into the new key fob?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure the internals are lined up correctly. My circuit board got a little ****-eyed in there after I dropped the key the other day.

I was lucky enough to have a good locksmith cut the thing carefully. I also have re-ground and taken about half the tumblers out of my ignition lock core (as detailed somewhere on this forum.)

All that being said, I'm going back to the original style. The position of the ignition switch on these trucks makes this big flip fob just a bit too cumbersome to fit easily, in my opinion.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G150driver
All that being said, I'm going back to the original style. The position of the ignition switch on these trucks makes this big flip fob just a bit too cumbersome to fit easily, in my opinion.
I thought the same think over the last few days of using mine. I have gotten used to it enough that it doesn't bother me much, but I may go back as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

@ZGPhoto- I am unsure if it worked correctly, when I purchased the LR, that fobs buttons were extremely worn. Figured this was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures