Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key wont come out sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key wont come out sometimes?

00 disco

i'd say once in 4 times its almost impossible to remove the key... the damn car just wont give it up... usually i swivel it around abit, sit for a few seconds, and try again. there seems to be no rhym or reason. sometimes it will just come out as its supposed to without a single hiccup! its alot like when you lock your steering wheel over getting out by accident where you have to jiggle the wheel to get the key out, but the wheels never locked when ive had this problem, nor has wiggling the wheel seemed to help at all. the key will slide out just a few millimeters then stop.

anyone else have this problem? is there anything i should look for on the key, or any type of lube (graphite maybe?) that might help, or to clean out the lock cylinder? or is the thing just worn out and ready not to work all together one day in the near future.

its rather annoying to sit there and have the radio and lights come on and off, on and off, on and off sitting like an idiot in the car just wanting to get out haha!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen and it was because the truck didn't think it was all the way in park. What I did was pushed the shifter firmly forward each time and the key would come out, eventually it just started to work as usual again. There might be an adjustmet to make within the shifter but the way I did it worked after a few weeks.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I had that happen to me a few times when I first got my Disco. I was literally sitting in the parking lot for 15 mins losing my mind because I couldn't get the fuggin key out. Turns out I wasn't all the way in park.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

hmm ill pay attention more next time see if thats the case. i do remember stepping on the break and moving the trans and xfer case back into neutral and gear to see if it was some safty deal.

curious if thats it, anyone know of what adjustment i should look at? maybe just a defective neutral saftey switch or one on the way out?

ill also be doing the CDL conversion in a week or so, while i have it all open anything of benefit to look for?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

On the DI there is a adjustment nut ontop of the gear shift, not sure of the DII.
But I agree with these guys, the computer does not think it is all the way in park.
One way to see for sure is next time it happens unhook the battery and see if the key comes out, if so it a shifter/neutral safety switch problem.
If not its a ignition switch/lock problem.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You new to the truck? It happens to all new owners...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Search for threads about the XYZ switch. Does the instrument panel show PRNDL? If not it is the XYZ. Sorry I don't have time right now to explain further, but if the XYZ is not telling the computer the truck is in Park the computer won't release the key. XYZs have gotten crazy expensive ($600+), but Mr. Tillery will sell you a used one for $100 and give you a 1-year warranty.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

hmm i havent had it happen since posting...but I did put some seafoam penetrating spray on the key and ran it in and out a bunch of times in the ign lock and doors. its noticiblyfg smoother now...but still can replicate the original lock otroblem

Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

damn cellphone keyboard lol*