Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kiamichi Trail

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Kiamichi Trail

Hi all. I am contemplating a trip to the Kiamichi Trail in southeastern Oklahoma and i'm wondering whether any members can give any guidance regarding the trail/route, what to take, and what reasonable mods would be required on my Disco II to safely do it. I'm thinking sometime in the Fall when it is a little cooler (so camping won't be a misery) but I won't go when the weather is bad or the trails are washed out more than normal.

I think I have read every blog or forum post about it.

My Disco is in good shape but I have few relevant modifications, including: lift and tires (about 3.5 inch and about 33x11 Toyo MT's), ARB bumper and some lights, and a cheap winch. I do know how to engage my CDL but it has to be done underneath the truck (I don't have the linkage).

Paint is not an issue because I am planning a paint job later, but I'd be really irritated if I dented anything.

Experiences? Recommendations? Mods? Things to take? Gotchas?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-14-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a winch with steel tow line in front on the bumper.
Simulate getting stuck and pulling your self out lashed to a tree with a winch.

Without that, I would not go.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks, jfall, I've got and have used a winch. It is a cheapie but it works.

Apparently, there are a couple of parts of the trail that are deeply ravined (3 feet deep). There are also some rocky stepped portions. From what I have seen the water portions are shallow unless it is raining (not above tires).

These are very small stretches of the trail but, my luck, those would be the end of some part of my truck. The ravine carved portions worry me the most because I don't have the articulation, or lockers, of a real trail rig. I could always pull myself up a rocky hill with trees on each side, but I'd be worried of my gears just prior to winching.

Anyway, it doesn't look like anyone here has been on the trail so I'll check out some other forums. I do appreciate your response.