Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2001 Land Rover Disco II. This is my second disco II. My check engine light was flashing so I took in into advance to have the codes read.

P0314 (02 sensor- multiple codes for this -Bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1)
PO327 ( knock sensor bank 1)
And cylinder misfire codes for cylinders 1,4,5,6

I was told to get the P0327 changed first. It is a Knock sensor. Does anyone know where the knock sensor is? I can only find one image online, but I can not locate it from the photo. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry.. I posted this twice. Was not sure where to post for the Disco II

Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The knock sensors are on the side of the engine block, one per side. The one on the passenger side is right behind the engine mount. (I had a hard time finagling the starter heat shield around it when I replaced the starter yesterday.) The driver's side should be in a similar location.

The check engine light is flashing from the cylinder misfires. The ECU has determined the misfires are bad enough that the catalytic converter is being damaged from the unburned fuel being dumped into it.

While it's possible for a knock sensor to cause misfires, it's not the norm, and I don't see how a knock sensor on the driver's side could be causing misfires on the passenger side also, but I'm tired.

How long has it been since its had a decent tune up - new plugs and wires? Cylinders 1,4, and 6 are on the same coil, but 5 is on the other one.

Definitely need to get the converter damaging misfire fixed before too much driving, or else you might have the cost of new converters to bear.

The following 2 users liked this post by lordmorpheus:
JUKE179r (02-24-2018), Rovergirl2001 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
The knock sensors are on the side of the engine block, one per side. The one on the passenger side is right behind the engine mount. (I had a hard time finagling the starter heat shield around it when I replaced the starter yesterday.) The driver's side should be in a similar location.

The check engine light is flashing from the cylinder misfires. The ECU has determined the misfires are bad enough that the catalytic converter is being damaged from the unburned fuel being dumped into it.

While it's possible for a knock sensor to cause misfires, it's not the norm, and I don't see how a knock sensor on the driver's side could be causing misfires on the passenger side also, but I'm tired.

How long has it been since its had a decent tune up - new plugs and wires? Cylinders 1,4, and 6 are on the same coil, but 5 is on the other one.

Definitely need to get the converter damaging misfire fixed before too much driving, or else you might have the cost of new converters to bear.
Thank you for the help. I just bought this vehicle last week. It needs much work, but it was too good a price to pass up. I'm not sure when a tune up was done, but I will do that next. I will also be replacing the coils after I get the 02 sensors changed. Once again, TY!

I was able to put in a used knock sensor I had in another Disco II . I am going to take it to get codes read tomorrow to check if the knock code is gone...

Last edited by Rovergirl2001; 09-14-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I would probably start with the driver's knock sensor, and spark plugs. Pay close attention to the spark plugs that are in the cylinders that are misfiring to see how they look compared to non-misfiring cylinders. If the spark plug wires are grey, they are most likely original and need to be changed. People here like Magnecore or Kinsborne wires.
Hold off on the O2 sensors until you've done the knock sensor, plugs, and maybe wires. Clear the codes and drive it for a few days to see which codes return, then go from there. I don't see where the P0314 is an O2 code from a quick search.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

The knock sensor only senses an abnormal vibration in the engine, normally caused by pre-ignition. Most common when lower octane gas is used in conjunction with too much advance in engine timing.
I would definitely change the O2 sensors(get the bosch 15175 not any aftermarket). And a new coil pack(I got advance auto coil pack for 65.00) and most recommend 8mm plug wires.
Do the coil pack and wires at the same time, since the upper intake manifold has to be removed to get to them.
Be sure and get a new gasket that goes between the upper and lower halves of the intake manifold.
The knock sensors can be seen from underneath the vehicle looking between the engine mounts and the back of the engine, close to the head. They are mounted by a stud coming out of the engine and you will remove the nut and the sensor will come off the stud. Very easy to remove the drivers side, I have not removed the passenger side, so not sure how hare it is, but should be above the starter on the engine block.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you just bought it last week you should check for coolant for Carbon dioxide and pressure test your coolant system before you spend dollar one

Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Where are you located and do you have a LR mechanic you trust to do the work?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The function of the knock sensor is to "listen" for, well... knocking. If it senses an ignition knock (pre-ignition detonation), it will tell the ECU to retard the timing. This can cause misfires sometimes. I wouldn't get too hung up on which cylinders are reported to be misfiring. You can check each of them with a spark tester tool, they're not expensive. Misfire codes are accurate most of the time, but I had a Toyota just the other day with a cylinder 1 misfire code and it was actually the injector not firing on cylinder 3. I also get cars in all the time with P0300 codes and they only have a one cylinder misfire.
Does the engine feel like it's running on 4 cylinders?

Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
8th Gear

Sorry to Jack this thread- But I have question about he drivers side Knock sensor, the wire is cut about 18 inches from the sensor and I cant see where it goes. I have another loose wire coming out of a smaller wire bundle above the alternator and AC compressor.

Can someone take a look where the wire from the Knock sensor goes and if it leads up the area by the alternator and AC compressor.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear

OMG. I am loving you right now #LordMorpheus! So... I have a 2002 Disco and am in the process of trying to sell it IF I can't get the bugs worked out. It's not my primary vehicle, so it's been throwing knock sensor and oxygen sensor codes. I have had the sensors replaced TWICE, once by Sears and once my a private mechanic - I bought the parts both times.

I replaced the MAF sensor and the knock sensor, spark plugs changed, checked fuses and am still getting the following: BUT YOU JUST SAID THERE ARE TWO!!!! I only replaced one - so I just ordered another knock sensor for the passenger side to see what that does. All the other videos and sources only mentioned ONE. 1. P1590 $0018 Other Manufacturer Control

2. P0130 $0018 Generic 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

3. P0150 $0018 Generic 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

4. P0141 $0018 Generic 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

5. P0161 $0012 Generic 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2

6. P0327 $0018 Generic Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Bank 1 or Single Sensor

7. P0140 $0012pd Generic 02 Sensor Circuit No activity detected Bank 1 Sensor 2

8. P0160 $0012pd Generic 02 Sensor Circuit No activity detected Bank 2 Sensor 2

9. P0174 $0012pd System too lean Bank 1 and Bank 2