Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
As a daily driver I could agree. But consider the circumstances. This OP wants a DII as a second trail/camping car. I think the DII would be perfect for you OP.

Everything 2001 said is true. The DII can be a pain sometimes, but the good part is that the DII can be a completely do it yourself vehicle. Invest in a decent tool set. Whenever you get your DII, replace the head gaskets, radiator, fan clutch, waterpump, and run a 180 tstat and I'm willing to bet you won't have many problems for a long time.

The only other 4x4 I'd want besides the Discovery is a 2001 Montero, a new(ish) exterra or Nissan Patrol(which they dont have in the states). But all in all I think a lifted Discovery with good tires is going to outperform any vehicle in it's class.

The H3 is a badass truck. Reliable and capable, doesn't have the swag of the Discovery 1 or 2 though.
Agreed on the H3 comment, I like 'em but they're a little too show off-y for me.

And I wouldn't mind rolling up my sleeves on the weekends, I've had much practive on american and german cars, never british influenced though so who knows how bad of a transition it'd be.

Thanks for pointing out the Montero, I may have to give it a look-see.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a 100 series landcruiser.....

Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly think if you are looking into a D2 as a trail/secondary vehicle, you are putting it in a position to meet your every expectation. As a secondary vehicle you can have it sit in the garage with its engine exposed for a few nights while you wrench on it. You don't have to rely on it as daily driver, you can afford to do things right and take the time to do so. I love my D2, and down the line when I get another vehicle I will be turning my D2 into a trail vehicle.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Three Wheeling

I got mine as a daily driver a month ago with new heads and head gaskets, along with a ton of other brand new parts in the engine bay. I was thinking it would be quite a while before I'd need to put any money into it.

Right now, it's sitting in my driveway with the oil pan pulled off, waiting for a new bearing set. If it was a secondary vehicle for me, it would be ideal. As a primary vehicle, it's time to start getting my FJ-40 ready for more street action. I'm starting to get the feeling that people weren't exaggerating when they said that I would be spending that much time working on it.

Even before the engine woes, my wife was calling it 'the sister wife'.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
As a daily driver I could agree. But consider the circumstances. This OP wants a DII as a second trail/camping car. I think the DII would be perfect for you OP.

Everything 2001 said is true. The DII can be a pain sometimes, but the good part is that the DII can be a completely do it yourself vehicle. Invest in a decent tool set. Whenever you get your DII, replace the head gaskets, radiator, fan clutch, waterpump, and run a 180 tstat and I'm willing to bet you won't have many problems for a long time.

The only other 4x4 I'd want besides the Discovery is a 2001 Montero, a new(ish) exterra or Nissan Patrol(which they dont have in the states). But all in all I think a lifted Discovery with good tires is going to outperform any vehicle in it's class.

The H3 is a badass truck. Reliable and capable, doesn't have the swag of the Discovery 1 or 2 though.
So in other words, you are saying "Buy a DII for $4-8,000 and then the day you buy it drop another $1500-2500 into it, and you might be ok for a little while!" Well I did take the plunge and I am starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have. I bought mine for $4,500 on November 10, 2012 and not even a month later I have already spent $300 on trying to get it run a little better (that was just Tools, Plugs, Thermostat, Expansion Tank Cap, UltraGuage).
Now I think I have to spend $300 for a FDS, $350 for a Radiator! Also, have to get new tires ($1000, which I understand), Stereo System SUCKS! in my Rover so that will get changed. Oh but did I mention that I really Love driving it, I really like it a lot, just wish it wasn't such a money and time pit! Oh, but since I think that I have to replace the Front Drive Shaft, it is sitting in the driveway like a boat anchor! So, that means my investment is not doing what I bought it for!

Good luck on your decision and I would still vote for buying the DII and just do what it takes!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Mudding

I have a 04 Discovery and a 08 JK. The JK is a much more dependable rig when it comes to everyday use. It is one of my fleet rigs for my company. It will take you anywhere you need. I work from ND to CO, so it has seen mountain duty as well. The 6cyl does weaken over time but keeps on going. I have close to 250,000 on it vs 100,000 on my Discovery. IMO it would be a good alternative for you.

My Discovery is similar to owning an old Harley. They are cool and fun to use, but you better plan on knowing how to work on them. They are a maintanace rig, not a jump in and go type rig. If you are willing to properly maintain, which includes keeping up on the small items which may need to be replaced, then by all means get one. It is by far the most fun 4x4 I have owned.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the rear jump seats are fantastic in the DII, at least 2003/04 models. very surprised to hear the comments about the lack of space here.

just this past weekend i fit six adults in my truck and the people in the back were shocked by how much room they had. they have a lexus or acura suv with the 3rd row seating and they said the rover smoked it. i totally understand they aren't for 6'6" people but these were average height/weight adults.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I second that the Jumps are awesome... I have had my 16 & 17 year old nieces back there and they had plenty of room. They said it was very comfortable and had no problems. Plus, they liked the way you get in from the rear of the vehicle. I am 6'1 220, and I have been back there and while yes you can stretch your legs out, it is still ok for my feet, and if I need to stretch out that much, I just turn sideways and then I can stretch the legs a little.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Heysus
an HJ 47 starts at right around 20 Grand for a decent sample (most recent one I've seen wanted a whole lot more) and Discovery IIs are getting below 8-10 Grand so unless 10 K is pocket change to you that is a big gap for me.

We would like four wheel drive as all camping roads in our area are gravel and constant kink/180 turns/elevation changes (Georgia, NC, SC, Tennessee, appalachian trail connectors) camping. I've been taking my parents H3 and it's an ok vehicle but the over-macho attitude can be a little off putting at times AND they can't drive stick so I can't leave them with my cars to use for the time being.

We tried taking a front wheel drive car once and it couldn't make it the last few miles to the trail points

thanks for giving me all the other options out there though as the more and more I think about it, I don't think I'd like anything else. I'd considered a 4 door JK but I haven't heard great things about the V6 and they're still high up on the price range for a vehicle that would only be used once or twice a week. Worst comes to worst and I chicken out, I may just get a TJ and sacrifice room, owning a LR, and being able to haul a bit more stuff/people on those quick trips around camping sites/ski lodges at night.

Thanks!

There's a reason they're several thousand dollars less than what appear to be comparable cars. They depreciated massively because most owners can't deal with them. They are a hobby car. That's all I can say that really makes sense. It's true they have better off-road capability than all the other cars I mentioned, but even so they're still a big, super heavy car with long overhangs and relatively small tires for offroad. They don't really compare to true offroad vehicles and the additional capability they offer compared to an H3/xterra/LC etc. is pretty small. You can add a lot by modifying but you can upgrade other cars even farther.

You can either plan on sinking several thousand more dollars into a clean DII than the purchase price to keep it meeting your expectations, or you can store it as-is, drive it rarely and get rid of it to someone else who's excited to find it for sale for so little.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
There's a reason they're several thousand dollars less than what appear to be comparable cars. They depreciated massively because most owners can't deal with them. They are a hobby car. That's all I can say that really makes sense. It's true they have better off-road capability than all the other cars I mentioned, but even so they're still a big, super heavy car with long overhangs and relatively small tires for offroad. They don't really compare to true offroad vehicles and the additional capability they offer compared to an H3/xterra/LC etc. is pretty small. You can add a lot by modifying but you can upgrade other cars even farther.

You can either plan on sinking several thousand more dollars into a clean DII than the purchase price to keep it meeting your expectations, or you can store it as-is, drive it rarely and get rid of it to someone else who's excited to find it for sale for so little.
hahaha, a DII would smoke an H3 off road. The H3 is a GMC Jimmy with a square body, not an offroad truck.

Quick Reply: The Land Discovery II and its competitors