Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grab a cherokee, wont lose any value even wrecked and that 4.0 inline 6 is unbeatable. for the money your put in just getting a disco to safe operating condition again you could have one hell of a nice ride.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I find it a bit odd that there's so much negativity towards a DII on a Land Rover enthusiast site. Seems more like Land Rover unenthusiasm.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
I find it a bit odd that there's so much negativity towards a DII on a Land Rover enthusiast site. Seems more like Land Rover unenthusiasm.
I think it's cool - that when asked, the same people that will not trade/sell their DII will be honest about it's shortcomings. And there's nothing wrong about letting someone know what they are getting into. I asked here about my DII before I purchased it and was told to run as fast as I can from it. I got it anyway and yes, it needed work - but everything it needed I was able to do myself with the help of people on this site. Would I feel the same way, if I have to pay someone to do what I have done to it? Hell No... I would have cut my losses and junked it. (local shop wanted $2800 for head gaskets - I paid $2200 for truck - Did it myself for $500) and that's just one thing of many others.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is where I am... I paid $4,500 for my 2003 D2, and I now have to pay $300 for Drive Shaft! On top of the other stuff I have already done to it. I really like the truck, but I just don't know if it is going to be the best thing to keep. I am not a mechanic! Don;t know for sure if I can perform most the stuff needed for this thing!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sure the truck has its downfalls, but it's so fun. People love it, my girlfriend adores it. She wants to drive it all the time, same with my mother. I have two cars and wanted to park the DII for the winter to save it from VT rust, my mom said she wanted to sell her car and just drive the Disco, HA!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of people end up in a disco because it looks cool but many don't know the love and companion ship a disco requires from its owner. Some require more time from you than your spouse. Lol

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I do agree, I think it's good that owners let potential buyers know about the gremlins. That makes total sense. Put a new driveshaft in it, the factory ones sort of suck. Put in a different thermo and change the coolant. That's all really important information and I think we should share that, yes. I was just commenting on the fact that I thought it was strange that so many people on here are talking down what is really one hell of a 4x4.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Lets not forget the disco is awesome offroad but just traveling around town it's a nice damn ride. U really feel like your driving a luxury type vehicle. To me that's unbeatable

Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 6'5" and can fit in the 3d row...can't say that about a 4Runner! Being that it's a 2nd ski vehicle, I say go for it! Competitors in the 3rd row category are scarce, but my alternate choices would be either a 4Runner or Land Cruiser.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good lord, these forums are excellent but I'm glad i didn't read them years ago "before" we bought our D2.

Ever since we got our D2 its been our "reliable" vehicle. Yes you read that right. Maybe were just lucky, but thats how ours has been.
These trucks obviously can have issues, and if you are not in a position to get your hands dirty doing work yourself for whatever reason, you probably shouldn't buy one. Paying shops to do even simple tasks on a vehicle can soon have repair costs spiraling out of control, especially dealers.
The same holds true for many 10+ year old vehicles, in my experience.

Our D2 is my dad's daily drive, we drive the thing everywhere and don't think twice about it. It does a lot of towing too.

I change the fluids/filters on time for him, and we don't break the bank doing it.
For our canadian winters, which is the main reason we got it, its been an absolute tank. The CDL + traction control combination has been outstanding.

I'm not really saying you should or should not buy a d2, depends all on what you want in your vehicle. In my opinion though the discovery sounds like a good option for you to consider, just be cautious not to buy an old neglected one, with a ton of problems that come with it.

Last edited by zoso-; 12-14-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: The Land Discovery II and its competitors