Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingin Carbon
So in other words, you are saying "Buy a DII for $4-8,000 and then the day you buy it drop another $1500-2500 into it, and you might be ok for a little while!" Well I did take the plunge and I am starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have. I bought mine for $4,500 on November 10, 2012 and not even a month later I have already spent $300 on trying to get it run a little better (that was just Tools, Plugs, Thermostat, Expansion Tank Cap, UltraGuage).
Now I think I have to spend $300 for a FDS, $350 for a Radiator! Also, have to get new tires ($1000, which I understand), Stereo System SUCKS! in my Rover so that will get changed. Oh but did I mention that I really Love driving it, I really like it a lot, just wish it wasn't such a money and time pit! Oh, but since I think that I have to replace the Front Drive Shaft, it is sitting in the driveway like a boat anchor! So, that means my investment is not doing what I bought it for!

Good luck on your decision and I would still vote for buying the DII and just do what it takes!
You wouldn't have to do all of those repairs at once. You can get a D2 radiator for $160, a 180 tstat for $45, water pump for $150 and a head gasket set for $250. I mean doing it all at once would imply that you bought a DII with a blown head gasket or something. But doing all of those would insure an efficient cooling system which I think most would agree is priority #1 on a DII.

I just speak from personal experience because I've come a long way from where I started 4 years ago on this forum. I was a total newb who couldn't find zerk fittings on a drive shaft to being able to replace head gaskets, a heater core, and being able to regularly service the truck. Doing it yourself is what its all about and I think that does a lot to keep expenses down. Is your driveshaft completely shot? It only cost me $200 to get my drive shaft rebuilt, including parts.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 12-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
hahaha, a DII would smoke an H3 off road. The H3 is a GMC Jimmy with a square body, not an offroad truck.
Actually its based off a Canyon/Colorado, however only the frame and engine/tranny are shared.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The DII doesn't smoke anything offroad. It's about 5000 pounds, has huge overhangs front and rear, and only fits 33's with typical lift kits. It flexes better than an H3 or a LC but it doesn't smoke them because it's not that much different. It's a soccer-mom SUV oriented toward the street. The solid front axle is a vestige of the earlier Land Rover platform that was done away with after 2004. Because of it, the offroad capability is similar to a stock Jeep wrangler. The H3's IFS has some disadvantage on obstacles but it is clearly superior at higher speeds both on and offroad. On desert roads, logging roads, along the power line routes, the H3 is a better platform. In mud, the small tire size of the DII (compared to a truck or even a Jeep) limits it severely. A Rzr is so much lighter weight and with such a low CoG that it smokes all of them on hill climbs. So the DII does some things a little better than others but it is not a smoking offroad car. It's a hobby car. That's all I can tell you and if you get a few years and many more thousands of dollars into it, that is what you'll realize for yourself.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
The DII doesn't smoke anything offroad. It's about 5000 pounds, has huge overhangs front and rear, and only fits 33's with typical lift kits. It flexes better than an H3 or a LC but it doesn't smoke them because it's not that much different. It's a soccer-mom SUV oriented toward the street. The solid front axle is a vestige of the earlier Land Rover platform that was done away with after 2004. Because of it, the offroad capability is similar to a stock Jeep wrangler. The H3's IFS has some disadvantage on obstacles but it is clearly superior at higher speeds both on and offroad. On desert roads, logging roads, along the power line routes, the H3 is a better platform. In mud, the small tire size of the DII (compared to a truck or even a Jeep) limits it severely. A Rzr is so much lighter weight and with such a low CoG that it smokes all of them on hill climbs. So the DII does some things a little better than others but it is not a smoking offroad car. It's a hobby car. That's all I can tell you and if you get a few years and many more thousands of dollars into it, that is what you'll realize for yourself.
mmm yeah, I "smoked" a lifted newer 4runner off road with my baldish M/ts. The approach and departure angles of this truck are really its only limiting factors.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you go at high speeds when you're off road? I don't. Even on gravel roads I don't go that fast. And those trails leading to and from harder to reach campsites? I'd be surprised if I ever got over 30. And I don't know about you, but my DII with ACE handles better on the road than just about any other SUV I've driven. The overhangs aren't massive. At least the front one isn't. It's better than most of the guys I wheel with. Yeah, the rear one is sort of shocking, but for what the OP wants that shouldn't be a big problem.
The solid axle suspension is a better, tougher design, and the coil springs make it comfy on the road, provided they're not collapsed. The DII has better articulation than the lot of them, and that goes a LONG way towards having really good off road traction. Yeah, the tires are a bit small, but that can be changed. And unless you're slogging through some pretty healthy mud (which I have in my DII), whatever size tire you can stuff under it will generally get you through as long as you've got a good tread.
And comparing it to a Rzr isn't even close to fair. That's like comparing a 150 foot yacht to a Bayliner. Of course a Rzr will outclimb the lot of them, but the Rzr can't carry what a Disco can. Or be as comfortable on the highway. Its not as quiet either.
Yes, there are certainly better vehicles for specific applications. If all you're doing is slogging through mud, buy a pickup. If you're sticking to mostly maintained roads and never want to touch your car, buy an XC90. If you're hauling *** down a desert road, get an H3. Or whatever. I'm not saying the DII is better at everything. I'm saying the DII is very good at almost everything. There are vehicles that are better at certain things than the DII. Yes. But, the DII is good at most things. It's a fantastic do anything, go anywhere vehicle.
Then there's that slightly more subjective part about how good it looks. To my eye, the Disco just wins hands down. Even an expedition equipped DII looks more refined than just about any competitor. But yet somehow tough and capable enough to get you wherever you want to go. There is NOWHERE that the DII doesn't look good or at home. It looks great out in the middle of nowhere packed to the rafters with gear and covered in dirt and mud. Then unload it and simply wash it off and it looks fantastic as an urban cruiser for a night on the town.
And it's not as unreliable as people make it out to be. It just needs a bit more attention than most other cars. It's not your typical gas 'n' go vehicle. It likes to be coddled a bit. Which is great for a second vehicle because it's not getting used all the time, so it can afford to have some town time. Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. The drivetrain is pretty much sound as long as you make sure it's maintained properly. My DII is a daily driver and it's the most reliable vehicle I've owned. So yes, it does require a bit more upkeep. And yes, there are rigs that are better at certain things. But as a camping/expedition/overland vehicle, it's a damn good choice. I think if the OP buys one, they'll be very happy with what they get.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I drive 60mph down dirt roads and the DI is solid as a rock on chatter bump's and pot holes.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Actually its based off a Canyon/Colorado, however only the frame and engine/tranny are shared.

I've never heard anyone say, "Man, this Colorado would be awesome, if not for the stupid frame!" The H3 would suck just as bad if it were a completely redesigned frame. It was designed for a specific purpose; Look awesome while picking up the kids. It does okay off road, but there are so many better options for less money.

I'm in love with the Disco more and more every time I look at it.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
You wouldn't have to do all of those repairs at once. You can get a D2 radiator for $160, a 180 tstat for $45, water pump for $150 and a head gasket set for $250. I mean doing it all at once would imply that you bought a DII with a blown head gasket or something. But doing all of those would insure an efficient cooling system which I think most would agree is priority #1 on a DII.

I just speak from personal experience because I've come a long way from where I started 4 years ago on this forum. I was a total newb who couldn't find zerk fittings on a drive shaft to being able to replace head gaskets, a heater core, and being able to regularly service the truck. Doing it yourself is what its all about and I think that does a lot to keep expenses down. Is your driveshaft completely shot? It only cost me $200 to get my drive shaft rebuilt, including parts.
My Front Propshaft is the Factory shaft... It was confirmed last night via pictures to Silver! Now I have to let the D*** D2 sit in the driveway tell I can scrounge up the $300 to get a new Propshaft and get it installed! Then Silver also said that it looks like my Rocker Panel is leaking as there is some Oil down underneath near the Propshaft, so that will be another item of investigation and repair.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its real hard on my end to tell where the leak is coming from, your rocker covers would be a $4 fix to go buy the proper socket. " common that they loosen themselves over time" however it could be coming from the valley pan gasket ect.ect.ect. hope for the rocker cover to be your leak.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling

It's just really strange, I have not noticed ANY oil loss on the dipstick at all... And I check it every couple days! I am not saying I don't have one, just must not be extreme by any means. I will dig into it this weekend when I can be home before dark. I am working 5 10's and I leave it is dark and I get home it is dark. The pics I sent you last night was with a flash light and the flash from my phone!

Quick Reply: The Land Discovery II and its competitors