Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so true. Same results, hundreds saved for other cool stuff...like lifts!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Sometimes it takes a PC to fix an Apple issue.
I know this is old, but I am trying to find a cheap rack solution that can fit a roof top tent. What have you done with this, it looks inexpensive!

Thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

It's called a van ladder rack. Expensive.... it was $80.00 and it's stronger than any roof rack you'll find. I quickly found this one on eBay for you. It's the exact same as mine. If you dig you might be able to find a black one. I just spray painted it.

500 LB Heavy Duty Multi-Use Full Size Van Crossbar Adjustable Roof Ladder Rack | eBay

All you need to do is drill 4 new holes and raise the cross bar up about 2". Can't remember the exact height. Also I bent the mount brackets slightly and beefed up the little mounting bolts. Very simple.
I've been using it for a couple years now, still works amazing.
Good luck.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but I thought people might still be referring to it.
I bought a rack and I started modifying / installing it this evening.
I applaud Toofaroffroad's idea and I appreciate his sharing it, but I thought a little more information might be helpful.
Toofaroffroad said he bent the mount brackets slightly, I looked at the pictures and couldn't see where. I found that the clamp didn't wrap under the rain gutter well, so I straightened the top bend in the clamp.
I also found that the tabs that the clamps slide through were too loose for my liking, I could pull out on the clamp and it would easily come out farther than I was comfortable with, so I bent the tabs in as well.
I used a piece of pipe and a vise to straighten the bend in the clamp.
I put a piece of 3/16" steel angle under the tab to keep from pinching and cracking the radius and hammered the tabs down (the angle had to be put in a vise and pounded out).
I drilled the new holes for the crossbar 3" (center to center) above the manufacturers hole.
I am attaching pictures of the steel angle under a tab, the pipe and the clamp in the vise, and the clamp on the mount bracket to show how much I bent the clamp.
I haven't permanently installed the racks yet because they need to be painted, I did temporarily install one and it looked like everything will work well. I do have to remove the clamps to install but I'm okay with that. I don't expect to be removing and installing the racks much.
I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-img_20180827_215040252%5B1%5D.jpg   Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-img_20180827_215118654%5B1%5D.jpg   Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-img_20180827_214827981%5B1%5D.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

For me the figuring it out part is half the fun . Any fool can write a check.

Sixpack577 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
Nice but for me this is a huge waste of time. No offense but poor and fixed income people shouldn't own Land Rovers.
What the heck kind of comment is that?!

This is a forum for do it yourselfers, regardless of income level.

The following 2 users liked this post by Charlie_V:
ArmyRover (08-28-2018), Sixpack577 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-arctic Rover
I realize this is an old thread but I thought people might still be referring to it.
I applaud Toofaroffroad's idea and I appreciate his sharing it, but I thought a little more information might be helpful.
Toofaroffroad said he bent the mount brackets slightly, I looked at the pictures and couldn't see where. I found that the clamp didn't wrap under the rain gutter well, so I straightened the top bend in the clamp.
I also found that the tabs that the clamps slide through were too loose for my liking, I could pull out on the clamp and it would easily come out farther than I was comfortable with, so I bent the tabs in as well.
I put a piece of 3/16" steel angle under the tab to keep from pinching and cracking the radius and hammered the tabs down (the angle had to be put in a vise and pounded out).
I drilled the new holes for the crossbar 3" (center to center) above the manufacturers hole.
I am attaching pictures of the steel angle under a tab, the pipe and the clamp in the vise, and the clamp on the mount bracket to show how much I bent the clamp.
I haven't permanently installed the racks yet because they need to be painted, I did temporarily install one and it looked like everything will work well. I do have to remove the clamps to install but I'm okay with that. I don't expect to be removing and installing the racks much.
I hope this helps.
Great contribution to a timeless thread.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
What the heck kind of comment is that?!

This is a forum for do it yourselfers, regardless of income level.
Agreed post has been removed. Good to see you posting Charlie.

Folks post like this won't be allowed. If you see one let myself or another moderator know and we will to care of it.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 08-28-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Sixpack577 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-arctic Rover
I hope this helps.
Interesting mod to the original idea, can you take a picture of the adjusted clamp and an original or have you modded to lot ?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry Richard, I can't take pics of clamps in original form, I modded all of the clamps and supports already.
I am posting more pics in hopes they will provide more clarification on the mods I did.
I had the clamp angle where I thought it should be when the tip of the clamp aligned with the tip of the support as shown by the yellow arrow in pic 3.
Bear in mind I have not installed the racks and used the Rover. I really don't think there will be any problem but I can't say for sure. I did check to make sure doors would open, the mod provides more clearance for the top of the doors than in original form. I don't have sun roofs so I did not worry about cross bar height other than clearing the factory roof rack / rails.
I am going to try to get some painting done tonight. Maybe I can permanently install them soon.

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-clamp-mod.jpg   Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-support-mod.jpg   Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-clamp-support-mod.jpg  

Last edited by Sub-arctic Rover; 08-28-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Richard Gallant (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution