Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak- Sunroof or Roofrack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leak- Sunroof or Roofrack?

I developed a leak, and cant tell if its the sunroof or roofrack. I get a wet spot on the headliner, passenger side, right around the grab handle above the door. But only in very heavy rain.

If it is the roofrack holes/mounts, does the headliner have to be droped to fix?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Or better yet, if it's the sunroof drain, is that the typical spot to notice water?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, nevermind. Finally found it in rave, If it is the roof rails, the headliner has to come down. If its the sunroof, headliner has to come down.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you were in denial.

of course the headliner has to come down. at least that way you can be sure you resolve it.

trick is getting it back in. mines been in the garage a year.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling

My money is on the sunroof drains...

the headliner isn't as bad as it would seem...just try to be careful and when you get it out, cover it with a clean sheet so it doesnt get dirty in the garage...

If you are going to the trouble of pulling the liner make sure you re-seal ALL of the drain tubes...you may even need to pull the sunroof drip tray so that you can re-seal the plastic piece in the corners that bonds to the tray and has a nipple for the drain tubes...the drain tubes are just press fitting...after they lose the elasticity they don't seal and leak...i used silicon and small hose clamps...Also make sure that the tubes dont get pinched by the headliner and take care when routing the front drain tubes so that when you re-attach the front visor tray you don't screw through one of the drain tubes.... mine came from the factory with a screw right through the tube... thanks LR!

I even went as far as pulling the sunroofs out and resealed where the sunroof makes contact with the roof... you may not need to get this crazy...my roof had some problems (i.e. it wasn't flat) because someone had driven it into a low clearance garage and the roof got crushed...(before i owned it...)

There are plenty of threads on here about the sunroof repair...i dont think there is a single sunroof out there that doesnt leak without fixing all of LR errors...if you think your sunroof doesnt leak.... its because you live in an arid climate and it doesnt rain enough....

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Winching

One thing to check before you start pulling the headliner down is to make sure there's not some debris (leaf, dirt, seed pods) that is restricting the drains. Open up the roof and look at the corners. One thing not to do is attempt to clear the drain tubes with compressed air, I saw another tech try that once and then the headliner had to come down for sure (blew the hose off the nipple). May not be your problem but it is easy to check.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by nychaze

I even went as far as pulling the sunroofs out and resealed where the sunroof makes contact with the roof... you may not need to get this crazy...my roof had some problems (i.e. it wasn't flat) because someone had driven it into a low clearance garage and the roof got crushed...
was it the garage on duane street? bastaards.

how did you fix that. i'm about to do my roof, sunroofs, etc....and was just gonna leave those little dents alone. i just saw the heat gun and compressed air solution on youtube and that might be an option.

your pic looks like your rollin in CP.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
was it the garage on duane street? bastaards.

how did you fix that. i'm about to do my roof, sunroofs, etc....and was just gonna leave those little dents alone. i just saw the heat gun and compressed air solution on youtube and that might be an option.

your pic looks like your rollin in CP.
It most certainly happened somewhere in NYC...i would take some pictures but i sold the truck about a year ago and got a D2... It really wasn't noticeable from the ground, you could see the scrapes in the back above the door but other than that you would have had no idea.

When i pulled the liner the center cross beam that runs between the two sunroofs was pushed down probably an inch or two...to get the roof to be more rigid i put spacers between the gap in the roof and the cross beam, then used some expanding foam insulation. This got the roof to a point where i was able to get a good seal around the exterior...i dont think it was even leaking from there, more so from the drain tubes, but i wasnt about to take chances...

If you just have little dents from hail or whatever i wouldn't worry about it...cant see up there anyway...but if they are to the point where the roof isnt flat around the sunroof it may be worth pulling it out and re-sealing.

All in all it really wasnt as bad of a job as i had originally thought...pulling the liner was just time consuming...

Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench

same dents and scratches. i don't care, especially since i'm painting the roof......but now that you mention the sunroof i'm gonna look at it again.

i have the headliner and everything else out of the truck and in the garage. everything needs to be touched but it's been out for a year.

the D2 is sagging and leaking now so after i do the D1 i'm on to the 2.