Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant replace Rad

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant replace Rad

HI all,

New to these forums and have a quick question for those who might know! We have a 2000 Disco, in Apr 06 we had a coolant leak and replaced the rad under warranty (which has since expired) at the dealership. I have found a local mechanic since and he has been taking care of the care for almost a year. Now the coolant is leaking again and he has told us the rad needs replacing! We have several other leaks which he is currently fixing as I write this but we told him not to go ahead with the replacement of the rad. Is this normal - I mean the rad lasting only one year? Should we go back to Landrover after the warranty . How common are coolant leaks and rads needing replacing on the discos? Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!!

Stacey

Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Leaking coolant replace Rad

I would watch that mechanic. First of all, the radiator is covered by a 1 year warranty from Rover. Where exactly are the other leaks coming from, find out specifically and get back to me.
Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radiator leaks are pretty rare I believe where exactly is it leaking? It could just be a bad hose atttachment etc. Rover radiators are more prone to clogging then leaking.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I had 2 replaced under warranty before I got a good one.
Aks your mechanic how he found the leaks, did he do a pressure test on the coolant system?
Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend anyone who isn't under warranty buy a land rover radiator. They're no good, they obviously have leakage problems and clog easily. I got a Arizona Performance Radiator that was less then factory and has been doing great. It's a different design and doesn't clog as easily.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a brief history - in Feb 06 I had my ACE line replaced, also replaced valve block and ace pump and flushed all ace line and bled system this done at a dealership. They did comment on invoice that there was an oil leak at valve covers and valve cover bolts also that they felt coolant was leaking. In Apr 06, brought to another dealership and they found coolant leak during a pressure test - leaking rad. Replaced rad, topped up coolant. This was the last item under our warranty, it expired in Aug 06. Found a local mechanic who repairs "imports" and he indicated also valve cover gasket leaking as well as coolant leak. Now the little I understand from today, those valve cover gaskets are leaking and are being replaced as well as some other parts relating to that leak?? There is also some belt he needs to replace.. They have said they have found the coolant leaking at the rad , a small leak. They are still checking for other leaks and I'm sure I'm missing something! Anyways I brought it in for a regular "service" and oil change as well as yesterday I noticed temp gauge right at top ! Drove it over they topped up both antifreeze and coolant and that seemed to solve the problem. It is just under the 7000km mark since last oil change and service. It seems we have not had too much luck and hubby is not handy at doing any of the work himself on this truck. The truck is a 2000 and currently has 131000 km on it and is used by me and kids for local driving mostly. I do take it on a yearly road trip but that's pretty much it! We have not had much success with the dealerships and are questioning the local guy, it's tough! When I find out more of what is being done I will post it, sorry so long and really appreciate suggestions!

Stacey

Old 06-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Stacey,
I would suggest before you loose your engine to a over heat issue that you call me or send me your number and I'll call you. It onlt takes one or two times for the engine to overheat and drop a sleeve, then you are looking at a new motor.
Mike
303-862-7680
Colorado