Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led lights for temperature controller + other interior lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced all interior lights with LEDs. Cheap, easy mod and they give off a nice super bright white light. I bought a couple 39mm festoon leds on ebay with i think 9 or 12 leds on each. I also bought a couple 36mm festoon leds. Each dome light could probably be fitted with either, but I found having the two sizes gave me an option for choosing the one that fit best.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I'm looking at the SuperBrightLED website and see all kinds of different model #'s for interior lights. Which one did you guys get?

Also, how about the external lights? Has anyone changed those to LED's? I know on motorcycles, a resistor is needed to change the blinker flash rate and make them work correctly... is this true on cars also? Do they really work as well as advertised? I know on my motorcycle, it's hit & miss on which LED bulbs actually work better.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget that website. Way overpriced in my opinion. Just go on ebay and type in 39mm festoon led. You will have hundreds of results. I would get two 39mm leds and two 36mm leds. They just pop right in like a normal festoon dome light.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Ah, LED conversions!

Ok, first things first... stop shopping at SuperBrightLEDs.com, their bulbs are **** and will fail within a few months. Super annoying...

On the interior and license plate festoon bulbs, your best bet are the Osram LEDriving c5w4k for the dome lights and glove box, and the c5w6k for the license plate lamps.

OSRAM LEDriving C5W4K

OSRAM LEDriving C5W6K

AutoZone just started selling the 6k version under the Sylvania LEDriving brand LED6818 I think it the part number, but good luck finding them, as stores are just beginning to get them in small quantities, and only the 6k version, which IMO is too "white" for the dome lights. The bonus is that they're only $9.99 per versus $16 per from Motive Mods.

The primary benefit to using the LEDs for dome lights is that at 1W, if you leave all of them on, it will be days before it drains your battery.

On the city lights in the headlights, I went with the W5W6K

OSRAM LEDriving W5W6K

But I lucked out and found these at AutoZone as the Sylvania branded LEDriving 194/168/2825 bulb for $9.99 each (versus $16 at Motive Mods), so check your local AutoZone. I hear AdvanceAuto also started carrying them, but I don't have one around me to check at.

On reverse lights, I went with the 14W Eagle Eye SMT tower in Super White from AutoLumination:

1157 1156 Autolumination.com leds (Automotive Replacement Light Bulbs, Headlights, Foglights & Lamps) (you'll have to scroll a bit)

Huge improvement in visibility from a distance with these, and the entire lens is evenly illuminated, not just the point where the bulb is. The all aluminum heat sink should ensure a healthy lifespan approaching 10k hours.

I haven't gotten around to the colored lenses (the bulbs are a bit pricey after all), but red LEDs for red lenses, amber LEDs for amber lenses. White 4k or 6k won't be quite the right color, and you likely won't be happy with the result, especially with amber lenses.