Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk steering, specifically Pitman Arm Joint failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk steering, specifically Pitman Arm Joint failure

It is my understanding that these can fall off causing the disco to completly loose control. Therefore it was recommeded here http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...e1.asp#discoIIthat it be replaced after 60K. This terrorizes me as going up Rocky Mountian National Park you could plummet thousands of feet to your death. I'm trying to find the part but am thinking it also goes by adifferent name.I'm thinking of replacing all my ball joints, steering stabilizer along with it. Does anyone know exactly what part this is? http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLis...geField22.y=14

Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Lets talk steering, specifically Pitman Arm Joint failure

I guess it is just one of the tie rod ends. Can someone verify this? Maybe something for all to consider near or past the 60K mark.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

With nearly 100,000 miles on my 99 D2, I haven't had anything fall of or wear out after lots of Colorado trails. Don't believe everything you read or next thing you know, you'll be going back to the dealers cause they are the cheapest place in town for service.
Are you actuall having any steering problems?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, it is just a tie rod end. called a ball joint here. The one in question is a LH thread, and the other 3 are RH thread. I replace my drag link (front bar) because I have have bent it twice. Did the ball joints as well, both times... My dealer was acutally cheaper than Atlantic British by getting the link and joints as a set. I just did my track rod (bar in the back w/the stabilizer) and went to the dealer again. These guys tend to shoot me deals, so it might just be me. It isn't hard to do, but you need to get a puller from your parts store. And, of course get an alignment after. I got an OME stab and I love it. I found a guy that had one in his garage brand new from his Classic. Got it for $30.

Check the boots for cracks, wiggle the drag link and check for play. Those are the main indicators they are bad. I think the article was talking about the ball joint that attaches to the pitman arm. Really doesn't make sense, becase if any one of the 4 go, you will lose steering in one if not 2 tires...

Good Luck and I hate you for having under 100K[sm=hail.gif]

Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Are you actuall having any steering problems?
No just kinda freaked me out. Has this ever even happen to anyone here?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
It is my understanding that these can fall off causing the disco to completly loose control. Therefore it was recommeded here http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...e1.asp#discoIIthat it be replaced after 60K. This terrorizes me as going up Rocky Mountian National Park you could plummet thousands of feet to your death. I'm trying to find the part but am thinking it also goes by adifferent name.I'm thinking of replacing all my pitman arm, ball joints, steering stabilizer along with it. Does anyone know exactly what part this is? http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLis...geField22.y=14
Yes, it is just a tie rod end.Go back to the dealers cause they are the cheapest place in town for service.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-02-2010 at 01:45 PM.