Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift coil install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021 | 01:04 PM
|
Mudding
Default Lift coil install question

Fronts complete, onto the rears now
2001 Disco. Going from 2 inch lift coils to RTE 3 inch HD coils

To put it bluntly. Im trying to get my lift coils in today but am not in possession of my tall set of jackstands.

If its off the ground, tires off but on shorter stands. Is a ton of down travel needed to unseat the front springs?
Ive checked a few videos but its hard to judge.

This is the first time i time installed a lift, without a shop/lift to use for a bit.

Ill find out soon because im digging in,but figured id ask and see if anyone chimes in.
Thanks

Last edited by DodyDisco; 10-14-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2021 | 02:34 PM
Pro Wrench

you will probably need to raise the jack stands somehow as the frame is super high. you will need every mm of down travel you can squeeze out of it to get the 3" coils in with no spring compressors. The stock bottle jack is used to help push the axle down to achieve the needed space (sway bar must be disconnected and forward crossmember removed or drive shaft off).

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 02:40 PM
Camel Trophy

On the rear, I never even remove the rear tires. I unbolt the shock and use a bottle jack between the axle and the frame.

The front of course requires some more disassembly, but I have done it off of standard 3 ton jack stands. The rotor is usually into the ground by the time it comes apart, but nothing gets hurt.

Best4x4 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 04:17 PM
|
Mudding

Well. They're in. Had to bottle jack the axle down untill it hit the ground, and then the coils juuust made it with a little extra persuasion from a crow bar.

Id rate it a 2 beer job, not to bad but taller jackstands would have been much better.

The following 2 users liked this post by DodyDisco:
cvhyatt (10-07-2021), whowa004 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 08:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Once you do one of each, front and back, each corner can be done in maybe 30min or less.

Old 10-07-2021 | 08:27 PM
|
Mudding

Gonna do the rears tomorrow hopefully.
I gained a lot lot lot more height in the front than i had expected.
I was expecting to gain an inch.
Old springs had me at 21.5" wheel center to fender.
​​New are the RTE HD coils that has me sitting at 24" even.

Somehow now my steering wheel returns to center much better?

whowa004 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 06:24 PM
|
Mudding

So doing the rears seemed easy enough. Sway bar disconnected, shocks disconnected.
Now i have so much down travel i can't jack it high enough with the floor jack to get the taller coil in without things getting to sketchy/tippy,wobbly for me.

Hate spring compressors too

Some days i miss having access to a lift quite a bit. Ha ha
Just complaining i guess while i think this out.

Could I just lift the frame/body upward with a bottle jack on top the axle to the frame? Truck still on the ground? Was tempted to try it that way.

Thought about a hi lift in a D ring receiver hitch. But thats sketchy at best also

Old 10-14-2021 | 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DodyDisco
So doing the rears seemed easy enough. Sway bar disconnected, shocks disconnected.
Now i have so much down travel i can't jack it high enough with the floor jack to get the taller coil in without things getting to sketchy/tippy,wobbly for me.

Hate spring compressors too

Some days i miss having access to a lift quite a bit. Ha ha
Just complaining i guess while i think this out.

Could I just lift the frame/body upward with a bottle jack on top the axle to the frame? Truck still on the ground? Was tempted to try it that way.

Thought about a hi lift in a D ring receiver hitch. But thats sketchy at best also
I set my jacks stands on some solid wood bases when I need extra height. Never had any issues that way. usually will do a 2x10 cut into squares and stack 2-3 of them. I have several backups around just in case and only had one tire off at a time if i remember correctly.

you could also just order up some taller stands. Sounds like you’ll need them now anyways.

Don’t do sketchy ****. Be careful.

Old 10-14-2021 | 08:55 PM
|
Mudding

Yah. My taller stands are parked under a friends vehicle at the moment.
Over thinking things because I wanted to get it done today, gonna pickup some lumber tomorrow to and just take my time like i should have anyway.
Just didnt forsee so much dang articulation necessary to get the new coils in.

Sketchy lifting of cars is not my thing. Luckily learned that lesson under a nice light 69 VW bug many years ago...

Last edited by DodyDisco; 10-14-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2021 | 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Had similar issues installing my lift. I don’t like spring compressors either but I had to uses them. I used a combination of a jack between the frame and axle plus the spring compressor. I didn’t have to compress the spring too much that way.

Quick Reply: Lift coil install question