Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock Issue in my 2001 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lock Issue in my 2001 Disco II

When I bought my Disco, it came with both remote key fobs, which excited me, as my last one came with one non-working remote.

Now even though I have both working remote fobs, the actual automatic locks do not work. Therefore, I have to use the key, and since there is only a keyhole on the drivers side door, I can't tell you how many times I've come home from the store and gone around to get things out of passenger side, only to realize door was locked and had to go back around to drivers door to unlock it.

When I press the lock/unlock button on my console, it does make a "motor-like" noise, but it does not lock or unlock the doors.

Any idea what the problem is? Easy or hard fix? I'm a novice to repairs, but do have the RAVE manual downloaded. With some direction, I'm hoping I can fix this on my own.

Thanks for the assist!

-Marni

Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door lock actuators. I replaced both front ones on mine with similar symptoms not too long ago.

You can certainly do the work - RAVE has good instructions. It's not too difficult, but it will take a few hours per side. You do remove the door panels (trim removal tool from Sears or any other hardware store helps), side view mirrors, and the door window frame (sounds harder than it is - it's really just a series of fasteners and then you lift it out.

I found that long needle nose pliers are very helpful to both release and re-attach the internal link bar from the external door lock to the actuator.