Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long journey Planned

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long journey Planned

am planning a long trip later this month, 2200 round trip. I have been getting all the maintenance and double checking everything. Getting ready this weekend to replace all the remaining fluids, diff, TC, transmission and engine oil. I have already completed coolant, brake fluid, PS fluid. New belt, hoses, tires, good spare. Disco runs great and have no issues but is there anything else i should be addressing?

92K miles now

Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Long journey Planned

How about plugs and wires? Is this 2200 miles on pavement or are you offroading too? Check the rotoflex for cracking, and lube the drive shafts. You did rebuild the front already, right? I wouldn't go on a trip that long if the front d/s hasn't been rebuilt.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Yes I will be lubing everything while under there, and front drive shaft done, plugs and wires done when purchased 6 months ago. No off roading this trip just taking my daughter up to Ft Drum NY, her husband is in the Army

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Read my reply on the LRO.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike,
I did read the other post, I just posted in both places as not everyone reads both. I have completed your list except for the items listed as to do in my post. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Well my trip 2200 mile trip Birmingham AL to Watertown NY has been completed arrived home last night about 5:30pm.
So I loaded up the Disco with a tow dolly and loaded my daughters car an 02' Kia Rio, which was then loaded with the luggage and other stuff. Started the trip around 4pm on Jan 28th arrived about 4pm on Jan 30th. Gas mileage was better than I thought for this leg I average 13.5mpg. I arrived and uploaded the car and relaxed inside for about 45mins and then returned to the Disco to return the dolly and to my horror all I could see was steam and the smell of coolant, this is where the panic set in as the temp was about 7 degrees and snowing like mad, and that is when I set the panic post that some must have seen. I really must say that the response was exactly spot on and I must say very appreciated with out your guys I would have pounded my head against a wall for hours. By the time I was able to get to a store the only thing open was a wal mart so the material that I used to fix the problem was a hot water hose for washing machine and hose clamps, I ended up breaking the solid hose from the expansion tank which worked to my advantage as I used the broken peice to attach the other end of the hose. This was the only issue that I encountered during the trip.
The return trip was problem free and I averaged 16.5 mpg.
On a side note the Disc was outstanding in the snow as about a foot fell while we were there, what a ride.