Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at 2000 Disco need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 2000 Disco need advice

I found a fairly clean 2000 Disco with 110k on it more or less rust free and what looks to be well maintained. I know lots of owners have done head gasket jobs on their Discos. I know what to look for as far as a bad HG goes but isnt this about the time to have them done? I really dont have $4500 for the truck and $1500 or more for a head job. Any advice guys?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Analogkid
I found a fairly clean 2000 Disco with 110k on it more or less rust free and what looks to be well maintained. I know lots of owners have done head gasket jobs on their Discos. I know what to look for as far as a bad HG goes but isnt this about the time to have them done? I really dont have $4500 for the truck and $1500 or more for a head job. Any advice guys?
OK...I'm confused here...if you "know what to look for as far as a bad HG goes"...what are you seeing when you look? Is it loosing coolant?...is the oil milky?...have you done a pressure test? Power wash your engine and put dye in the coolant first...or even better, ask the PO if he or she replaced the head gaskets.

If they have not been done (good clues above if they have not), at 110K, it is about time.

If you are mechanically inclined...download the RAVE manual and do it yourself for less than $500.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mwindth
OK...I'm confused here...if you "know what to look for as far as a bad HG goes"...what are you seeing when you look? Is it loosing coolant?...is the oil milky?...have you done a pressure test? Power wash your engine and put dye in the coolant first...or even better, ask the PO if he or she replaced the head gaskets.

If they have not been done (good clues above if they have not), at 110K, it is about time.

If you are mechanically inclined...download the RAVE manual and do it yourself for less than $500.

Sorry for any confusion I do know what to look for as far as a blown HG but what I was trying to get at was this- seems most DiscoIIs need head work around 100k. Would it be unreasonable to think I could go another 50k or more before trouble shows up or am I dreaming? The old lady will kill me if I drag this thing home and in 6 months tell her I have to pull the heads for a semi major repair. I know their is no crystal ball out there but Im trying to play the law of averages here (your second statement sorta answers that question). The Disco I's seem to have less HG issues or am I mistaken??
Ive build 2 cars that have run into the 11s in the quarter mile so pulling heads off is not a huge deal its the time factor to do it that causes an issue. I can be without a car for a week or more.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mwindth
Is it loosing coolant?...is the oil milky?
x2 check this first
________
AMATEUR MATURE

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plain and simple. Just ask the PO if they were done. If they say yes ask for receipts. If not, tell them that it is due for one at that age show them what it would cost (to have it done by someone else) get them to knock that off the price then do them yourself and pocket the difference. And yes at that mileage if they have not been done they will need it very soon. If you buy expecting it to last another 50K then Murphy's Law will getcha. Do as I said before, buy the stuff to do it, put the kit aside and drive it till it needs it. Then you will already have everything you need so the truck won't be down as long. Some guys have done the HG in a couple of days and if you are already experienced at doing HG then the rover will be pretty straight forward with the help of the rave. And as to the comment regarding DI's, they are more reliable in this aspect but they do have to get replaced. Just not religiously like the DII's.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The D1s have less electrical gremlins as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Thanks guys I guess that answers my questions! I sent the owner and email and havent heard back yet. If the heads have been done Im golden and will be a regular come next week. If not I will need to rethink my offer and see were we stand. I had already figured 100k was the magic number from what Ive read thanks for confirming my hunch.