Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for aftermarket Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for aftermarket Radiator

I have finished the dreaded head gasket work on my 02 discoII. After $300 in parts and labor(heads cleaned up and checked for warpage) and $100 in beer everything is running better than ever. However, I have a leaky radiator that needs attention. I want to replace it with an all aluminum piece. Has anyone had any luck installing a universal style all aluminum radiator? I have found several that have the proper inlet and oulet locations (gm and chevy styles) including one from JEGS for $179. I know that the replacement radiators that still incorporate the plastic end tanks are supposed to be adequate, but I like the idea of an all aluminum radiator. Thanks for any input.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Aside from suspension components and various off road accessories I've never seen any other aftermarket parts for rovers. I dunno, I could be wrong but I've never seen anything like that.

Oh and isn't a stock radiator all aluminum too?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There are a number of after market radiators, verify the size and make sure it has all the mounts your has and get a year guarantee.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
4th Gear

The end tanks are plastic and are the weak point in most radiators. The all aluminum radiators have aluminum end tanks. I think I am most likely going to have to take an aftermarket universal style and mod it to work. Good thing I have a good supply of more beer at the ready!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Mike,

That is what I was thinking too. I found a few that should work nicely. I will keep everyone posted as I finish it up. Some are slightly smaller (an inch or less, here and there) but they are double core designs capable of cooling a 300hp engine. I also lined up a shop here in town that can either weld some mounts onto the radiator for me or I can weld some brackets that will secure it by cradling/clamping the radiator in place. Oddly enough, the entire process is looking cheaper than the $300 for an oem stlye replacement.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 PM
4th Gear
Default be-cool radiator going in nicely!

I am finishing up the install of a becool all aluminum radiator. Amazingly there is only a slight amount of modification required. The stock radiator mounts are easily tweaked to fit the new piece. It is a double core unit with 1" tubes and offers much more cooling capacity than the stock radiator. I can now remove the radiator in about five minutes without distrubing the tranny cooler. I should have it done and up and running in the next day or two. I will post pictures when I am finished and will be glad to answer any questions that anyone may have if they are contemplating a similar swap.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dsbducracer
I am finishing up the install of a becool all aluminum radiator. Amazingly there is only a slight amount of modification required. The stock radiator mounts are easily tweaked to fit the new piece. It is a double core unit with 1" tubes and offers much more cooling capacity than the stock radiator. I can now remove the radiator in about five minutes without distrubing the tranny cooler. I should have it done and up and running in the next day or two. I will post pictures when I am finished and will be glad to answer any questions that anyone may have if they are contemplating a similar swap.
Please do. I'm interested.