Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a capable 4x4: Is Disco I-II right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive about 80 miles a day, and I am lucky to see 2 Land Rovers a week around here. There was a Disco a few miles from me, but they totaled it a month or so ago. Rovers are very few and far between around here. I don't exactly live in the most affluent area of the country though, and we are a long way from a dealership. Here they are driving chromed out Chevy pickups with Calvin stickers on the back.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russdouble
I drive about 80 miles a day, and I am lucky to see 2 Land Rovers a week around here. There was a Disco a few miles from me, but they totaled it a month or so ago. Rovers are very few and far between around here. I don't exactly live in the most affluent area of the country though, and we are a long way from a dealership. Here they are driving chromed out Chevy pickups with Calvin stickers on the back.
Ha!! I thought for a second we lived in the same part of the country.

You got any of the lifted trucks rolling on 22"s with lo-pro tires in your neck of the woods?? You can't throw a stick here without hitting a couple of them. You got to love plastic chrome on everything to hang here!! And Buick style exhaust outlets (the non-functioning lick and stick type).

Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LRDII2000
Ha!! I thought for a second we lived in the same part of the country.

You got any of the lifted trucks rolling on 22"s with lo-pro tires in your neck of the woods?? You can't throw a stick here without hitting a couple of them. You got to love plastic chrome on everything to hang here!! And Buick style exhaust outlets (the non-functioning lick and stick type).
Oh yeah we've got them... and it is getting worse as all your Texas boys come up here with the Gas Companies, and all the rednecks here get the money to buy newer, bigger, modified trucks from the royalties the Gas Companies are paying them.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my area there are not many any more. Most of them are replaced within a model year of the new model coming out. I actually did see 2 in NYC the last time I was in though... actually pretty funny. I gave a wave. Other than that, the NJ burbs of NYC where I am people don't typically ride around in anything of the last model year usually.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Drifting
Default Thanks guys!

Well, I bit the bullet and finally came home with something after a couple month long search. Here she is!

2000 Disco2 93K. Everything looked good and I searched up and down for signs of head gasket problems(per the sticky and one very detailed thread) and found nothing. I guess we will find out quickly if I belong on the short bus? The owner had most service records, recent emissions test and had recently replaced brakes, rotors, serp belt, slabs reconfigure, throttle body HG and rear door mechanism along with normal service. The only thing that was amiss was that the valve cover gaskets were leaky, but when I put the socket on them to tighten them down I found out why. Tires are 90% BFG AT 245/75/16 which is nice. I was actually pleased with how well this little v8 ran over the passes after hearing everyone discuss how doggy they are, and I managed almost 17 MPG on the 250 mile trip home. Thanks for all of the help, and I will probably have to stick around the forum now!

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a capable 4x4: Is Disco I-II right?-disco-2.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Nice rig man, I really like the color. It looks like your research paid off.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by MuleyJ
I have no problems finding my way around a vehicle with a wrench, and this will be a third vehicle not a daily driver.
Your the perfect candidate.

The V8 JGC is a good rig and they are cheaper to mod, but far as driving experience - the disco II destroys it.

Last edited by sloan74; 02-25-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Winching

Nice rig, like the ATs and the color!

You can order a set of wheel cap covers here, I just got myself some. 40 bucks for all 4, new. Beats haggling people on Ebay who try to get 12 bucks a piece shipped for a used one...

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RRJ500030MNHGK.cfm

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

x3 on liking the color!

*I'm biased because mine is that color* :P

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys! I saw those caps somewhere also, thanks for the link. I figured I would first get through some of the 60K service that had not yet been done by the dealer. Tonight I changed oil in both diffs and the transfer case. Tomorrow night is the transmission and filter. I'll try and dress her up a little after that stuff is done. Good news is after the rocker cover snug up, I no longer leak any oil! Hope everything else is that easy.