Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a Discovery (first Land Rover)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing heavy off road stuff, TW is probably the way to go, I just rebuilt mine because i don't do heavy off roading stuff. I guess it all really just depends on what you are going to use the truck for!

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane83
If you are doing heavy off road stuff, TW is probably the way to go, I just rebuilt mine because i don't do heavy off roading stuff. I guess it all really just depends on what you are going to use the truck for!

Hope that helps!

Regards,
It does, it does help! I do not plan on doing any heavy off-roading either. If I can rebuild the current one that would save me some money. Is there a DIY write up for this?

TIA,
Dave K.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Winching

There is indeed a write-up, Dave- someone sent it to me when I was considering the project. It was a PDF.

It looked like a hell of a job, so I took 'er into a shop to have them rebuild it. It was only going to cost $100 per Rover, but they said the u-joints (those rounds wheel things) were out of production.

Maybe I'll just do that as well...

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Mudding

Yes there is, if you click HERE , this is the one I used to rebuild my drive shaft. I followed the directions to a tee and it all worked out for me in the end! I did go get the shaft balanced after I finished just as a precautionary measure, but that only cost $25 (to get it balanced) the parts cost a little less than 50 or 60 bucks! After it was all said and done, I saved a lot of money, I used that money to put gas in the Rover, Lol, cause we all know these things like to drink the gas!!

Take care and good luck if you decide to do your own.. make sure you have the right tools, if you don't... lets put it this way.. I bent 3 heavy duty C clamps before I went to harbor freight and bought the u-joint tool.. I returned the tool when I was finished, so it was like renting it, but having that tool is a must!

Regards,

Last edited by Shane83; 04-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Winching

Good find, Shane!

I tried digging up the PDF in my email, but couldn't find it.

Good luck bruth@@z.

Try not to run over a Prius.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run Tom Woods shafts on my TJ and XJ. I abuse the living heck of out both of them and a drive line falilure can be really bad news when your doing this kind suff.
This is me on the Rubicon at "Old Sluce"

Even my 35" tires look small in this one.

if tom woods drive shafts can haul my pig of an armored TJ though this I have total faith in his drive shafts on my disco which wont ever see this kind if stuff.... i hope..

Dave

Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Winching

Damn Range Time, that is hard core! Good for you man!

Is your name referring to a firearms range? Are you into guns as well?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree that Jeeps need really strong driveshafts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?...&no_autoplay=1

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Shane83
Yes there is, if you click HERE , this is the one I used to rebuild my drive shaft. I followed the directions to a tee and it all worked out for me in the end!

Regards,
Freaking s-weet! I can do that! Excellent write up that is VERY helpful. The 1970's pink carpet was the Piece de resistance!

Thanks!
Dave K.
maybe owning a Disco tomorrow...

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
There is indeed a write-up, Dave- someone sent it to me when I was considering the project. It was a PDF.

It looked like a hell of a job, so I took 'er into a shop to have them rebuild it. It was only going to cost $100 per Rover, but they said the u-joints (those rounds wheel things) were out of production.

Maybe I'll just do that as well...
There is an EXCELLENT local driveshaft shop. I will likely just take mine there. They have all the tools and parts and will rebuild it while I wait.

I may do it myself, I'll have to see how time works out. I have a timing belt to do on my wife's Odyssey and I need to change all the hoses and radiator plus change a half-shaft on my Audi S6. Oh, and door hinges on my Audi S4. Damn job takes all my time...

Dave K.
too many projects, too little time...

Quick Reply: Looking to get a Discovery (first Land Rover)