Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into a Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a Disco 2

Hows it going everyone.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say I will be a Discovery II owner quite soon.

I currently own a 95 grand cherokee 4.0 and its been a great ride to me, I just need something newer and a wee bit more reliable.

Ive been reading on this board for a while, some jeep vs land rover arguments (funny lol) and problems, etc.

I can deal with all the little things that can go wrong with the Disco 2, or so I've read about. The thing that concerns me most, if I put say, a suspension lift on it, will I get Death Wobble?

Thats a big reason why I'm leaving my Jeep behind, Ive replaced everything on the front axle of my jeep, and I still get uncontrollable, violent DW at 65mph...scary stuff

Thanks, much appreciated

-Daniel

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much are you planning to lift? I had 6" of lift on my ZJ and no death wobble.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
how much are you planning to lift? I had 6" of lift on my ZJ and no death wobble.

You're pretty lucky man, and not gonna lie, Im jealous lol

I wouldn't lift it anymore than 3". I'd learn towards more 2" cause its a DD, and it'll be like a weekend warrior.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Overlanding
Default Stick with a Jeep

I have had a DII for several months now and I can't wait to unload it to the next unsuspecting customer. I have owned several Jeeps (J-10, CJ-5 and a TJ) and I can't wait to own another after this Rover. Check around for parts prices, you will see what I mean! LR's are poorly designed and very expensive to maintain, much less build for off road use.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by kallgrer
I have had a DII for several months now and I can't wait to unload it to the next unsuspecting customer. I have owned several Jeeps (J-10, CJ-5 and a TJ) and I can't wait to own another after this Rover. Check around for parts prices, you will see what I mean! LR's are poorly designed and very expensive to maintain, much less build for off road use.

As much as Id love to, You know the Jeep itch, Just Empty Every Pocket

Yeahhh, thats what I feel like. I don't need a vehicle that will rock crawl or go into 15 ft mud. I just want one that's capable and easy to maintain.

Like Im telling my jeep friends, Im on temporary leave I'll own a ZJ another time, when I have the time and money to build it up properly.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DS24.Low
You're pretty lucky man, and not gonna lie, Im jealous lol

I wouldn't lift it anymore than 3". I'd learn towards more 2" cause its a DD, and it'll be like a weekend warrior.
well I sold it, it was beat up pretty bad. I probably never had it over 65mph, speedo was broke.

you should be fine with 3" on a rover, that's my plan for my rover. Rovers are tough. A good solid transmission and a proper gear to gear transfer case..none of that weak chain BS. They do have to be maintained though, regular coolant flushes are a must if you keep dex-cool. The axles are stronger than jeep 30/35 combo but discoveries weight a lot more so that makes them about equal...but isn't having a full frame worth it?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 AM
4wd Low

well I sold it, it was beat up pretty bad. I probably never had it over 65mph, speedo was broke.

you should be fine with 3" on a rover, that's my plan for my rover. Rovers are tough. A good solid transmission and a proper gear to gear transfer case..none of that weak chain BS. They do have to be maintained though, regular coolant flushes are a must if you keep dex-cool. The axles are stronger than jeep 30/35 combo but discoveries weight a lot more so that makes them about equal...but isn't having a full frame worth it?
Yeah, I never take mine over 70...considering I don't know how fast Im going. It doesn't help that I was in a hit and run and it bent my unibody...stupid people without insurance.

Ive always liked the rover look and I maintain all my vehicles properly so maintaining one of these won't be an issue.

Ive seen and read threads about people getting Death Wobble on their Disco 1, but not as much or near to nothing on the Disco 2s

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
TReK

I bet that bent unibody is causing your death wobble. I'm looking forward to lifting my rover..you rarely see one lifted around here and I don't think I've ever seen one on 33s so it'll be cool having a unique off-roader.

btw, I like your signature pic!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
4wd Low

I bet that bent unibody is causing your death wobble. I'm looking forward to lifting my rover..you rarely see one lifted around here and I don't think I've ever seen one on 33s so it'll be cool having a unique off-roader.

btw, I like your signature pic!

Well, I used a suspension calculator and made sure all geometry angles weren't tampered with. Everything seemed to be alright. It just bent my frame in the back, more or less buckled.

Lol, thanks, gotta love them texas cheerleaders!