General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice about purchasing a 01' rover

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice about purchasing a 01' rover

I am about to purchase this 2001 land rover with a Bosch engine and 128k and I am kinda iffy about it because I don't know to much about it what so ever. He said he's willing to take it to the dealership to show me that there is nothing wrong with it. What should I tell the tech to make sure he examines thoroughly or any other questions, or concerns?

Here is the link for it:
2001 Land Rover

I appreciate who ever helps me thanks.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pressure test the cooling system. I have an '01 D2 with 125K and head gaskets have been leaking a little for a while, and finally a big chunk of gasket blew out, and now I am forced to get the head gaskets done. I should have done them earlier or at the least been saving/planning to do them. You need to determine if the head gaskets have ever been replaced, or if it is leaking now by the results of the pressure test, or plan on doing them yourself sometime in 5-50K miles, or paying someone around $2K to do it for you.

Check the Front Drive Shaft and see if the U-joints are greaseable? If yes, it has been replaced, if no most likely not replaced yet and you will want to do that with 128K. The OEM non-serviceable (non-greaseable) u-joints dry out from the heat and will come apart and let the drive shaft come loose and tear into the expensive LR transmission. You want to make sure the front drive shaft has been rebuilt or plan on doing it for anywhere from $150-$350 depending on if you get someone to rebuild the one in it with greaseable u-joints or buy a new one with greaseable u-joints. If you do it yourself you can do it for less than $100.

Check the build date, up to April '01 or so the D2 had the nipple on the transfer case for CDL even though it had no shift lever attached to it. This is nice to know if you want to add a shifter to activate the CDL. Just ask the mechanic if it has the "CDL nipple on the transfer case". CDL was on the D1 to assist in better traction. Traction Control in the D2 was used for that purpose, but they continued to use the same transfer case for a couple years. If you activate the CDL, you can have TC and CDL, more options that may be able to help you in more situation. Read more on CDL on the forum.

A few little things:
1) Check to see if the CD player under the passenger seat works
2) Check to see that the key remote opens all doors
3) Check to see that all power windows, sunroof, and seats work. See if you see any water stains around the headliner near the sunroofs.
4) See if you have a jack under the hood just behind the battery, and the tools in the rear cargo door to use it.
5) Test Drive and check to see if the ABS brakes work by doing a hard stop and stomping on the break peddle. You should get some strong vibration as the computer brakes off/on very fast if the ABS is working. You may also get some lights to come on, may not be any issues, read on the "Amigos' on the forum.
6) Nice to know if you have the trailer hitch and if so if you have the wiring already added to convert from the LR connection to the 4-plug flat connections used in the USA.
7) Check the hinges on the rear cargo door, hold that spare over time puts wear on them. Check the lock with the remote on this door as well.
8) Check the range on the remote control on they key. May need new battery, or may be shot, never know.
9) Check the compass in the rear view mirror.
10) Check that the A/C blows cold, check for water in the passenger floor after running the A/C for 10 minutes or so in hot weather. Not a big issue, A/C drains under front floors can get trash in them and not drain.
11) Check the interior door lock button on the dash
12) Check the gas door button on the dash. Make sure the gas door latches closed. See if the gas cap still has the tether strap on it.
13) Check to see if the fog lights work
13) Check the Top Radiator hose, see if it has a plastic adjusting **** in the middle, if so it needs to be replaces, the new style has the adjusting **** to bleed the air out to the left at the end of the hose in a plastic housing at the end of the hose. You can see pics on the forum
14) Check shifting from Drive to Reverse to see how smooth the transmission shifts. See when the transmission fluids were changed, if not, they probably need to be, along with the diff fluids and the transfer case fluid.
15) You could also hose it down good and see if you get any leaks around the front doors, door post, top of the windshield over the sunvisor, etc.
16) Check brake peddle travel, should stop easily, many D2's get air in them when brakes are done if the person doing the does not know rovers and pay attention to make sure to bleed them, which can be a challenge with the ABS system on the D2.
17) Check power steering. D2 steer easy, if not check fluids or you may need new power steering pump soon.
18) You could also have them pull a few sparks plugs to see how they look, and check the wires to see if they are in good shape.

I am sure there are others with better list, but this will get you started.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 06-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

thanks Rover_Hokie,you list 18 point help me cheap software buy cheap software

Last edited by qcdrums; 07-09-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Better yet, take it to a good Rover shop and let someone who is familiar with a Disco do a prepurchase inspection, it will be the best money you ever spent.
Be prepared to rebuild/replace the front drive shaft and do a major service like what I have posted at the top of this section before you do any wheeling.