Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing fluid everytime I go to fill the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Losing fluid everytime I go to fill the transmission

I have attempted to top off the tranny fluid 3 times now and everytime I open the refill plug fluid flows out. Each time I let it run out and yet the next time I try more runs out. Ive done this while the motor is running and have switched through the gears. I have noticed that the shifting doesnt feel remotely close to normal and now when I switch from R to D it makes a noise.

I recently put the motor back in and filled the TC full before installing. After the motor was in and ready I started it but within moments fluid started spraying out of the tranny pan like it was being pressured out. I turned it off and found that I had the oil and tranny fluid cooler hoses crisscrossed so I pulled the drivers side hoses and placed them correctly which fixed the issue. Could this pressure have done something to the tranny filter? Possibly messed with the flow? Sorry so long but Im stumped.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you had the lines crossed, then you would have engine oil of some quantity in the tranny (not good) and tranny fluid of some quantity in the engine oil (also not good - but sometimes used as an engine flush fluid). I'd think you would need to change both fluids and the tranny filter.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

It hit me this morning that Im looking at oil in the tranny fluid Savannah Buzz. I noticed it to have a tanish color when it ran out when I have already done a trans filter change with new red fluid. Should I go ahead and get a new filter for the tranny too?

When I pulled the 2 hoses from the coolers on the drivers side they were completely dry so I thought that nothing happened except for maybe air being pressured into the tranny. Also thought the tint to the tranny fluid was just the older left over fluid from the TQ that I couldnt get out.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If it were mine, I'd drain the engine and refill with oil and new filter. I'd FLUSH the tranny and refill with fluid and a new filter. The engine won't hate the fluid, but the tranny will hate the oil.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Ive never done a flush, any pointers?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by me 2
Ive never done a flush, any pointers?
I have not flushed my Disco, but on my Jaguar, I took it to an independent shop and he hooked it up to a special vacuum machine. He charged me $130 which was VERY cheap for the XJR. They are normally $300-800 due to a "Special" Mineral Oil fluid. I'm not sure what the Disco costs, but I would have an Independent Land Rover shop do it, not a normal Tranny shop. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is the secret.
You can't open the fill plug unless the engine is started.

That is because the transmission is FILLED with the engine started.
The transmission oil pump sucks the level down.

When the engine is not running, the transmission is probably an inch above the fill hole and comes out.

Don't get burned doing this.
The cats get hot.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

For the moment i went ahead and drained it tonight and refilled it. I refilled it and when it started to come out I plugged it and started it and ran it for about 10 mins and then while running I resumed filling it. I prob got in a few qrts before it started coming out again. Shifted gears for a while and tried to refill again but really couldnt get anymore in. This sound normal? I drove it for a bit and seemed better. I plan on replacing the filter and refilling it again sat.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes that is the correct way to fill and check the level. X2 on dumping the fluid and filter again, asap