Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost all coolant, had to mix green with dexcool.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost all coolant, had to mix green with dexcool.

I was driving after topping up the coolant (may have filled too much?) and the hose that comes out of the reservoir into the throttle body heater came apart. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be like this, but there is a section where two rubber hoses fit together with no clamp. It looks like there was some adhesive holding them together and that is where it blew apart. At the time it happened, the engine was warming up at about 180* F according to the UltraGauge. I was looking for a place to pull off and the temp spiked at about 260*F before I shut it down. I was in a pinch and could only get green coolant (the kind that says mixes with any brand and any color) and filled it with 2 gallons of that mixed 50/50. After letting it cool down for about 30 minutes, it started up with no problem and is not making any noises or anything.

a) Do I need to flush the coolant system and replace with either all Dexcool or all green/yellow?

b) Is there anything I should look for in the way of other damage or anything I should do?

c) Is the hose from reservoir to throttle body heater supposed to be like this? Should I replace this hose or try to glue it and use a clamp?

I've only had the disco for about 3 weeks and am in the process of doing all of the high-mileage maintenance items, so new coolant hoses and thermostat are in the very near future.

Thanks.

edit:
2004 Disco SE7
125,000 mi

Last edited by jtsmeed; 02-08-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added vehicle info
Old 02-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Flush out the dexcool. Replace with High Mileage Prestone Green. What you saw holding those hoses together was the dexcool most likely or a stop leak product. All hoses should have a clamp on them. As far as I know there is no adhesive ever made to hold on any coolant hose.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. For what it's worth, there was definitely some kind of adhesive holding a few sections of hose together. I'm just guessing, but it looks like the PO put sections of flexible hose in every time the rigid plastic hose cracked or broke. There was a selection of about 7 pieces of flexible hose held on with various types of clamps and a clear, rubbery adhesive. Clearly the adhesive was not made for the application.

For now anyway, I replaced the entire section of hose from the reservoir to the throttle body heater with flexible brake hose (and used hose clamps). I wasn't going to, but the plastic tubing was completely rotted and broke when I was poking around to see what kind of project I was getting myself into. I've seen others report that they used flexible hosing and will likely leave it as a permanent fix unless someone gives me reason not to.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

AWWW...he may have used F4 tape or the likn on it a stop gap.
F4 Tape - Self-Fusing Silicone Tape - Home