Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my Key/Fob!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my Key/Fob!!

Help!

I lost the one and only key/fob I had for my 2004 Discovery. How much will the dealership charge for this? Can I save some cash going to a place that works on Land Rovers?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a new one last week. The dealership here in Michigan charged me $154.54 (without tax) for the keyfob, then an additional $102.00 to program the remote. The key comes uncut, but they recommended a good locksmith to me and it cost me a whole $2.00 to get the key cut.

If you buy a key fob from online, it may or may not be able to get programmed. That's why I just bit the bullet and went to the dealership. The only way the remote can be programmed is by someone who has the Testbook program which 99.9% of them are dealerships.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

The good locksmith cutting it for $2 is great, if you already have a key to match. If you don't have a key to match, only the LR dealer can cut it. I learned this last winter, when the key blade fell out of my fob into the snow, at night, somewhere in the parking lot at work. I don't remember what the quoted cost was for them laser cutting the key by VIN, but it was enough to get me out in the 5* cold with a rake, and a magnetic broom.

Luckily, I found the key blade, and super glued the bast@rd into the fob.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind. Found it.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
The good locksmith cutting it for $2 is great, if you already have a key to match. If you don't have a key to match, only the LR dealer can cut it. I learned this last winter, when the key blade fell out of my fob into the snow, at night, somewhere in the parking lot at work. I don't remember what the quoted cost was for them laser cutting the key by VIN, but it was enough to get me out in the 5* cold with a rake, and a magnetic broom.

Luckily, I found the key blade, and super glued the bast@rd into the fob.
Glad you were able to find it, but before that did you try a locksmith? I've watched the mobile guys (both the ones that AAA sends and ones that we hired to handle repos) pull a lock cylinder, dis-assemble it, and use the actual pins themselves to cut the key on many different makes/models of cars. The guys sent out by AAA charged less than $20...the other charged $50-$75 depending on the situation. This was 7 or 8 years ago, so prices may have gone up...

I'm sure the Rover locks aren't anything too special. As long as they have a blank that will work it shouldn't be hard to find a decent locksmith to cut a key for a DII. If you have trouble locating one, try calling your local auto auctions and asking them who they use...I guarantee they have a locksmith who cuts keys all the time like I've described above.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you loose the key then yes the dealer has to get the number off of our site. Pray to god the numbers are right. That has happened in the past and its not pretty for anyone. But if you have one key always get a spare cut from a dealer or locksmith. yes it will be a disco one key but the upside is its a spare key. Hide it and always always make sure the door lock cylinder works. Use it on a regular basis. If you dont know one can help you.

ironically the new 2010s you can't keep a key in the car and lock it up so the customer can pick it up later. You can't even leave it on the tire. The key has to be at least ten feet away from the car.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
ironically the new 2010s you can't keep a key in the car and lock it up so the customer can pick it up later. You can't even leave it
on the tire. The key has to be at least ten feet away from the car.
That will help out a lot of people who lock their keys in the car, like my buddy who locked his key in the car... in the switch... with the engine running
At least the interior was cool when the locksmith popped the lock open an hour later.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually on the RR the vehicle will still lock itself in if you lock all the doors and place the remote in the back like getting groceries. But it chimes a few time to tell you its there and you got thirty seconds to get it out. If you fail then well sorry its idiot proof.