Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud clacking/knocking shaking really bad/transmission issues help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default loud clacking/knocking shaking really bad/transmission issues help

Okay heres the scanario. Got home from work and decided to go out to eat with my brother. Got home, cleaned up got in the truck and started it. it was missing and then a loud clacking sound coming from the passenger side. the engine was missing really bad and stalled. I later started it and the clacking wasnt as loud and the engine only stalled once. started it back up to try to listen the the engine with a stethescope to hear where the noise was coming from. the noise went away and the engine ran better but still had a miss like a fouled plug. so I pulled the fuse to the ignition and turned the engine over with the key to see if i could hear low compression. sure enough i could hear that one piston had very low or no compression. I bought tis truck 3 months ago with 67k and now just hit 70k miles. I love it but have had it in the shop more than I have had it in my driveway it seens. the place I got it from took it back to land rover but will not pay fully for this. I got back in touch with land rover and they confirmed that #2 was getting very low compression. I was thinking a piston skirt may have broken. they want $650 to pull the heads but I figure why waste time when its obvious whats wrong. $5850 to get a rebuilt engine including labor and all, not bad considering this is from the land rover dealership. the dealership is going to pay part. How much I don't know, and my transmission problem has yet to be resolved after 6 trips to the mechanic. the last trip they said the mode switch had soda in it from the previous owner and they cleaned it out again. I keep telling them it needs to be replaced. sure enough it doesn't work except every so often. the transmissions short shifts at 2k then goes straight to 3rd then to 4th all before 30 mph! even in sport mode unless you give more than half throttle and even at 75% throttle it will still shift to second at about 3-3,400k. then right to third. then the torque converter will lock, it will shift to 4th, converter will unlock rpms go up, then the torque converter locks back up. during normal driving of half throttle or less it short shifts to second and then immediatley goes to third and I can barely keep up with traffic without manually shifting. this is killing my fuel economy. if I drive it in regular mode it short shifts so bad it won't get out of its own way. at least in sport mode it will downshift anytime there is an abrupt change in throttle input. I don't know what to do. ANyone have any ideas as far as the transmission?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: loud clacking/knocking shaking really bad/transmission issues help

Start with the basics, what year, model and mileage and a 1 liner for a question.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: elrocha69

Okay heres the scanario. Got home from work and decided to go out to eat with my brother. Got home, cleaned up got in the truck and started it. it was missing and then a loud clacking sound coming from the passenger side. the engine was missing really bad and stalled. I later started it and the clacking wasnt as loud and the engine only stalled once. started it back up to try to listen the the engine with a stethescope to hear where the noise was coming from. the noise went away and the engine ran better but still had a miss like a fouled plug. so I pulled the fuse to the ignition and turned the engine over with the key to see if i could hear low compression. sure enough i could hear that one piston had very low or no compression. I bought tis truck 3 months ago with 67k and now just hit 70k miles. I love it but have had it in the shop more than I have had it in my driveway it seens. the place I got it from took it back to land rover but will not pay fully for this. I got back in touch with land rover and they confirmed that #2 was getting very low compression. I was thinking a piston skirt may have broken. they want $650 to pull the heads but I figure why waste time when its obvious whats wrong. $5850 to get a rebuilt engine including labor and all, not bad considering this is from the land rover dealership. the dealership is going to pay part. How much I don't know, and my transmission problem has yet to be resolved after 6 trips to the mechanic. the last trip they said the mode switch had soda in it from the previous owner and they cleaned it out again. I keep telling them it needs to be replaced. sure enough it doesn't work except every so often. the transmissions short shifts at 2k then goes straight to 3rd then to 4th all before 30 mph! even in sport mode unless you give more than half throttle and even at 75% throttle it will still shift to second at about 3-3,400k. then right to third. then the torque converter will lock, it will shift to 4th, converter will unlock rpms go up, then the torque converter locks back up. during normal driving of half throttle or less it short shifts to second and then immediatley goes to third and I can barely keep up with traffic without manually shifting. this is killing my fuel economy. if I drive it in regular mode it short shifts so bad it won't get out of its own way. at least in sport mode it will downshift anytime there is an abrupt change in throttle input. I don't know what to do. ANyone have any ideas as far as the transmission?
Holy grammar nightmare. You hurt my head trying to read this mess.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Mudding

I'm sorry. I have to get used to this keyboard. I have been using a laptop and now I am back to a desktop. I'll try better next time not to scramble your brain so badly on my next post.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Mudding

Oh and I speak much better than I type and my grammar makes a whole lot more sense.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man, my AD was kicking in, what year and mileage?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Mudding

2002, 70,000 miles.