Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Noise - Clacking, clicking front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Noise - Clacking, clicking front end

So about a week ago i started to notice a clacking/clicking/scraping rotational noise coming from the front right. It sounded to me like a wheel bearing was going bad and i had an extra hub laying around so i switched it, no change. Then figured it would have to be the CV, changed that and still have the noise. I also pulled the front drive shaft and drove around without it, still have the noise.

The noise starts around 15mph and is continuous even while braking which makes me think its NOT the brakes.

Link to the video:

Any ideas?

I was thinking about jacking up the truck and running it on jack stands to see if i can pin-point it but i'm a little hesitant...falling off the stands and going through the living room would make for a bad day...

Last edited by nychaze; 08-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Drain front diff and check fluid for silver streaks or chunks?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Should have stated that....i drained the diff and didnt see anything unusual. Diffs are new about 3 months ago.

DiscoMike recommended pulling the rear shaft and running only on the front to see if that makes a difference...i will give that a shot

Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling

I also ran the truck with and without the front d-shaft in low/high lock and un-locked still had the noise.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well if you still have it after removing both drive shafts, then its time to jack up one end at a time and start rotating the wheels. The problem must be in one of the diffs.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

With the weight and load off the tires, I am not sure if you can duplicate the sound, but sure worth a try.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If I was not looking at your video, and only listening, I'd suspect a belt/idler wheel/pump/alternator related issue. But if it's not happening at slower speed, I guess that does not fit.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SuperSport
If I was not looking at your video, and only listening, I'd suspect a belt/idler wheel/pump/alternator related issue. But if it's not happening at slower speed, I guess that does not fit.
It is related to vehicle speed, not engine speed. I coasted down the road in neutral and with the truck off...still have the noise.

Haven't had a chance to try only the front drive shaft (tile job in progress, in-laws in town...damn, damn, damn)

Going to send the video to Bill at GBR and see if he has heard any like this.

I had an issue with my rear making some nasty noises when it engaged and it turned out to be the gear oil...sent the video to Bill and he knew exactly what it was... truetracs are picky on there oil but they dont tell you what to use, just say dont use synthetic. The front is making this noise on the last oil i had in there and the different oil i replaced it with so i know its not an oil issue.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you recently have your tires balanced as they tend to hammer the weights on the side of the rim instead of using the stick on weights. As a result the weight might be protruding just abit rubbing against the shock towers and causing the ticking noise every revolution.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by alfa_romeo55
Did you recently have your tires balanced as they tend to hammer the weights on the side of the rim instead of using the stick on weights. As a result the weight might be protruding just abit rubbing against the shock towers and causing the ticking noise every revolution.
I will take a look, had them re-balanced about 2 months ago so i wouldnt think so but i could have always knocked one loose on the trail. Good idea.

Quick Reply: New Noise - Clacking, clicking front end