Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love Discovery but don't have one yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlueWater
I'm a tile contractor in CA and use my 2003 to tow a dual axle cargo trailer with electric breaks nearly every day for work. Everything in tile is heavy. We have some significant grades in the Malibu area and she trucks up them with relative ease.

If your trailer is set up properly, the truck will tow beautifully.... the wheel base is long enough to be stable, yet short enough to complement maneuvering in tight spaces. For the most part, I forget the rig is behind me.
Hi DeepBlue. I'm not sure what you meant by if the trailer is set up properly. I'm assuming you're talking about surge brakes on the trailer.

My boat trailer does not have any types of assisted brakes. MY Grand Cherokee provides all the braking power for the trailer. Even w/o towing, the brakes feel mushy on the Jeep...I'm not sure if anyone on this forum owns a JGC before but if you have, you'll know what I'm referring to in terms of mushy brakes feel.

I was worried about not being able to stop well towing the boat with the Jeep but it turned out not to be too bad. As long as I give myself enough distance I'm okay.

DeepBlue, how much weight would you say your trailer typically hauls? Most roadways to lakes/reservoirs are narrow and treacherous with plenty of grades and that's my area of concern should I replace the Jeep with the Disco II.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far.

Cheers,

Chris