Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loving the oil pressure gauge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 12:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Thank you - that helps me a lot. I don’t have safari lights, but I do have a clock that I understand is a constant 12V in order to keep the correct time, but the fuse diagram isn’t clear about which fuse is connected to the clock. I imagine the battery is the best place to connect constant and ground wiring, but I’m unsure about making that run. Would you use 16 gauge stranded wire? I’ll see if I can figure out those wago connectors - they seem really expensive. For the three amigos wiring I used waterproof butt splice heat shrink connectors, but I guess the wagos must be much better. I’m decent with soldering from working on guitars a bit, but this is different and I’m pretty oblivious. I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I can use for a ground connection that’s near the passenger fuse box, and, if I can figure out which fuse is used fir the clock (assuming that’s 12V - I’d have to measure to know for sure).

Thanks again. I’ve got a bit closer to this now and if it comes down to it, I guess I’ll run wire through the bulkhead (under steering column I’m guessing?) through the tubing to the battery and attach them using ring terminals if I can find any big enough or there’s somewhere convenient on the battery for these purposes.
Wago's aren't at all required, just a preference. To undo a wiring situation using Wago's it's a simple flipping of tabs and voila. With buttsplices, they're super difficult to undo, you basically have to clip wires, which starts to shorten lengths of wiring harness really fast. Anyway, just a preference.

Straight from the battery is going to be the cleanest and most unwindable if you decide you don't want a gauge anymore or sell the Disco and don't want to sell the gauge.

Yes, for the ground, you need a ring terminal connector if you want to do it right.

I used 14 gauge stranded but only because I happen to have some.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks - I think I understand. I’ll have to look at the battery to see if I can find some ring terminals that are right for the terminals or the bolt connected to it. Would you use a 5A inline fuse for the constant wire, as well?

Last edited by neuropathy; 05-13-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I’m also sort of wondering now if a constant is necessary and if it’s ok not to use it and just tape off that wire to prevent the draw? Is it just used to keep the color setting on the gauge?

- I messaged the company about this as well.

— apparently only the needle will illuminate if the constant isn’t connected and it’ll reset to the factory blue each time.

Well, you definitely know best and I’ll get some 18-22 gauge stranded wire and get into all of this. I need to redo all of the wiring tuning anyway, so here I go.

Thank you!!

Last edited by neuropathy; 05-13-2022 at 12:10 PM.