Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Cowling and radiator fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lower Cowling and radiator fitment?

So to make sure I don't install my radiator improperly trying to clear a few things up. At the Rave I am looking at Repair 26-2-17 (page 432) about removing radiator and the last two steps (steps 23 -24). So I am missing the the parts from those two steps which are the retaining clips and sealing strip. I have the retaining clips ordered and on their way to me. I just ordered the sealing strip as well hoping its in stock and ships OK. My question is I see no mention of the lower fan shroud in the Rave. Guess I am confused how the lower portion of the shroud stays in place. Previous one was zip tied to bottom of radiator and I just had my second clutch fan come apart and not sure this is the cause but wanting to rule that out as happening again. I have piece of the lower fan shroud but I having trouble envisioning how its secured trying to piece it together outside the car. Any chance of some real pics

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks
So to make sure I don't install my radiator improperly trying to clear a few things up. At the Rave I am looking at Repair 26-2-17 (page 432) about removing radiator and the last two steps (steps 23 -24). So I am missing the the parts from those two steps which are the retaining clips and sealing strip. I have the retaining clips ordered and on their way to me. I just ordered the sealing strip as well hoping its in stock and ships OK. My question is I see no mention of the lower fan shroud in the Rave. Guess I am confused how the lower portion of the shroud stays in place. Previous one was zip tied to bottom of radiator and I just had my second clutch fan come apart and not sure this is the cause but wanting to rule that out as happening again. I have piece of the lower fan shroud but I having trouble envisioning how its secured trying to piece it together outside the car. Any chance of some real pics
The lower shroud just screws to the upper shroud. One on each side where the two joint. Or, anyway, that's how mine goes on.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-08-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

There are 2 clips that attach to the bottom of the radiator that the lower shroud wedges into.

If you look at the bottom of the rad at the 2 outside positions there are 2 slots on the lip(front and back) this is where the clips, clip into the radiator.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Does the sealing strip fit onto the front or rear lip of the radiator?

There doesn't seem to be anything to hold the strip on, it just falls off... is it supposed to be glued or something?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran into the small problem myself dealing with those clips and the seal. I ended up leaving the seal out but it bugs me,, I didn't want it flying off down the road.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Does the sealing strip fit onto the front or rear lip of the radiator?

There doesn't seem to be anything to hold the strip on, it just falls off... is it supposed to be glued or something?
I replaced original radiator 2-3 months ago with a new one twice,!! First one I put in had a bad brass fitting for secondary air that was spinning,! (It was a Nissens, so they gave me a replacement under warranty),, and I still don't remember rubber seal front or back %100, But I want to say it was on back & rubber flap section going toward front of car,,,
But it wasn't staying on either one of replacement radiators the way it stayed on original, so I put some silicone in seal's groove & pushed it into radiators aluminum lip & then put plastic clips on, & it was very solidly in place after that.