Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.

Finally broke down and had my lucky 8 propshaft installed by a random shop.
Feels to me like I've got a balence issue - there's a weird feel and noise at about 100 km/h (like its on rough pavement - particularly when it's under power seems not to when decelerating).
Looks to me like they didn't check that it was put with the marked bolts aligned.
Could that do it?
Thinking of getting under there and rotating it, should be easy with the bolts being fresh.
Or does this mean the shaft wasn't balenced and I need to find someone to do that?
So far my $268 propshaft has cost $600+, so I'm hoping to not spend more.
Thanks!
N.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Sounds like it isn't balanced properly. Might be a return item or you may have to take it to a local shop to be balanced.

But I agree with your thinking. Check the bolts and rotate it first. That's easy.

I wouldn't drive it too long like that. If you are feeling vibration then your rotoflex is taking a beating.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would rotate it 180 as it only takes a few minute, anything after that call luckly8 , you definitely should not be balancing it.
that would modify it and they do not have that accept as a return if its been modified, plus you paid for a balanced shaft.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Like drow said after rotating if there is still a issue call Lucky8

Old 08-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Rotating it 180 very likely won't do any good, but certainly won't hurt anything.

Did you have a vibration with your old propshaft and it just showed up with the new one installed?
I wouldn't get it balanced unless the seller instructs you to at his expense.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You can pull it out, lock the transfer case to see if the shaft is the source of the vibration.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
So far my $268 propshaft has cost $600+,
How much did they charge you to install it? It is simple, 8 bolts. you can do it yourself, without lifting it up.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

You guys are right. I'm always so focused on no downtime I lost sight of buyer seller relations. Also, Lucky8 and Justin are great and have everything you ever need, but my couple of shipments from Lucky8 took a super long time.

Since everyone is focused on rear driveshafts could anyone tell me whether the rotoflex to ujoint conversion is worth the trouble? Or is it better to just have a spare rotoflex? My rotoflex is 15 years old and i'm contemplating my first ever trail run (kiamichi trail in oklahoma) and being stranded is not in my playbook.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Finally broke down and had my lucky 8 propshaft installed by a random shop.
Feels to me like I've got a balence issue - there's a weird feel and noise at about 100 km/h (like its on rough pavement - particularly when it's under power seems not to when decelerating).
Looks to me like they didn't check that it was put with the marked bolts aligned.
Could that do it?
Thinking of getting under there and rotating it, should be easy with the bolts being fresh.
Or does this mean the shaft wasn't balenced and I need to find someone to do that?
So far my $268 propshaft has cost $600+, so I'm hoping to not spend more.
Thanks!
N.
Usually if it is a bad shaft, the symptoms are reversed. You would feel it upon deceleration, not acceleration. What do you mean by random shop?

What was the reason for replacing the shaft? Did your previous one expire or was this just preventative maintenance?

With all those questions being asked, these are hand built items and we do have variances from time to time as does any mass produced part. Im also curious how the box looked upon delivery? We have had 1 or 2 experiences where the shaft was damaged during shipping, causing an issue with the shaft.

Either way, we are here to make sure you are taken care of. Let us know.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Also, Lucky8 and Justin are great and have everything you ever need, but my couple of shipments from Lucky8 took a super long time.
We appreciate the kind words. I know we sometimes take a little longer to get stuff out, but we are a small operation of enthusiasts and we do our best.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Since everyone is focused on rear driveshafts could anyone tell me whether the rotoflex to ujoint conversion is worth the trouble? Or is it better to just have a spare rotoflex? My rotoflex is 15 years old and i'm contemplating my first ever trail run (kiamichi trail in oklahoma) and being stranded is not in my playbook.
It really isn't trouble at all. It is a pretty quick and painless job if you know how to turn a wrench. I highly recommend doing it. Once it is done, you will never have to worry about replacing another rotoflex, and with that comes peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.