Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Good lord, how I want a good mechanic!

Just got back from arguing with the guy who installed the propshaft. He swears up and down that the mismatching could not possibly make any difference. And that I'd feel the driveshaft at 40km/h not 100.
Think I'll do it myself tomorrow.

Land Rover shop that doesn't suck in Toronto? Anyone?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Just got back from arguing with the guy who installed the propshaft. He swears up and down that the mismatching could not possibly make any difference.
Mismatching what?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Good lord, how I want a good mechanic!

Just got back from arguing with the guy who installed the propshaft. He swears up and down that the mismatching could not possibly make any difference. And that I'd feel the driveshaft at 40km/h not 100.
Think I'll do it myself tomorrow.

Land Rover shop that doesn't suck in Toronto? Anyone?
Jeez, that mechanic must be a genius to know the exact speed at which a vibration WOULD occur. What a monkey. I think you're going to be a much better mechanic than him when your sort this out.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Mismatching what?

The marked bolts (as in it's rotated from the original). He's not wrong that it shouldn't make a difference with a new shaft. But, should and might are two different things.

Of course, in driving it tonight, I'm starting to think it's something with the engine as it only happens under power and might not be a vibration at all.
Something making the engine run rough? No codes, but might be.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Wow! And super responsive to boot!

A friend of mine had his rotoflex replaced at a local shop and they said they had to make a tool to remove [something]. He doesn't remember. I suspect it was some kind of puller because even though they are a 4x4 driveshaft shop, they get a confused look whenever you drive up in an import. They said they had to weld something to a pair of vice grips. Sounded fishy.
There is a special tool made by/for LR to remove the Rotoflex center spigot which is held in with Loctite goo. These tools/pullers are also available on Ebay in the UK ............. I bought one. There are other methods of removing this spigot but it's risky as if you destroy the 8mm thread in the spigot you are stuffed and then left to 'butchering' the spigot out.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

don't start second guessing yourself, either you had the vibration before or you didn't.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The marked bolts (as in it's rotated from the original). He's not wrong that it shouldn't make a difference with a new shaft. But, should and might are two different things.
Ah. Well, as I said originally, it's unlikely. I've removed and installed a lot of propshafts and have never marked them before removal (obviously you can't do that to new ones) and have never had to redo one because of a vibration due to installation.
But I suppose I could have been really lucky.

Of course, in driving it tonight, I'm starting to think it's something with the engine as it only happens under power and might not be a vibration at all.
Something making the engine run rough? No codes, but might be.
I don't know why your engine would run rough depending on which propshaft you have installed.

But if you think that might be it, very carefully note when the vibration occurs, then swap back your original one and go back to the same road, same load, same speed, same acceleration, same engine temp and see if it happens.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

I can't remember if you said... do you have a CDL? If so you can drop one driveshaft and and least prove or disprove the engine theory.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Either way, we are here to make sure you are taken care of. Let us know.
Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
I would accept it if it was improperly balanced from the factory and he tried to correct it. That is on us, not him. We stand behind everything we sell.
This was not my experience, as documented elsewhere.

I acknowledge that Lucky8 has a strong reputation in this and other forums but in my case there were unreturned PMs, unreturned phone calls, and finger pointing capped by silence when I suggested a price adjustment to at least partly compensate for the hours and hours and hours I spent to modify the product to get it to fit my truck. As with the driveshaft discussed here the product fault lay with the manufacturer, not Lucky8.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Another possibility could be that the shop accidentally seperated the 2 halves of the shaft where it extends and then re inserted in a different position than it was balanced at.

I believe another member had this same problem during an install.

Quick Reply: Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.