Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
i would rotate it 180 as it only takes a few minute, anything after that call luckly8 , you definitely should not be balancing it.
that would modify it and they do not have that accept as a return if its been modified, plus you paid for a balanced shaft.
I would accept it if it was improperly balanced from the factory and he tried to correct it. That is on us, not him. We stand behind everything we sell.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
We appreciate the kind words. I know we sometimes take a little longer to get stuff out, but we are a small operation of enthusiasts and we do our best.

It really isn't trouble at all. It is a pretty quick and painless job if you know how to turn a wrench. I highly recommend doing it. Once it is done, you will never have to worry about replacing another rotoflex, and with that comes peace of mind.
Wow! And super responsive to boot!

A friend of mine had his rotoflex replaced at a local shop and they said they had to make a tool to remove [something]. He doesn't remember. I suspect it was some kind of puller because even though they are a 4x4 driveshaft shop, they get a confused look whenever you drive up in an import. They said they had to weld something to a pair of vice grips. Sounded fishy.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Wow! And super responsive to boot!

A friend of mine had his rotoflex replaced at a local shop and they said they had to make a tool to remove [something]. He doesn't remember. I suspect it was some kind of puller because even though they are a 4x4 driveshaft shop, they get a confused look whenever you drive up in an import. They said they had to weld something to a pair of vice grips. Sounded fishy.
Sounds very fishy. I've replaced them before on my back in my driveway with a simple tool kit. Nothing fancy required. Sounds like the removal tool they made was designed to remove more $$ from his wallet.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Sounds very fishy. I've replaced them before on my back in my driveway with a simple tool kit. Nothing fancy required. Sounds like the removal tool they made was designed to remove more $$ from his wallet.
Okay I appreciate that info and I'll study the threads to see what I need to do.

Thread hijack over. Sorry!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

He might be referring to the special tool you "need" to convert from roto to u-joint. Which is essentially flat stock with two holes in it.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Well I retract what I said about Lucky8. I spoke to Erik and I now understand why shipping might take a little longer sometimes. Further, he completely fixed me up with some parts that I need for by engine (various bearings), making sure I would have them right on time and helping me understand what the engine shop was telling me.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. Lot of responses.
Quick run through:
Front Propshaft, replacing because it was original and I like my transmission hole free.
No vibration before hand.
The package was clean, looked immaculate.
"Random Shop", means I was back in my hometown and used my father's old mechanic from before he went soft and switched to new cars and dealer shops. Seemed entirely competent.
About $85(cnd) to swap. They thought it would take 15 min and took 45, so I think things were seized (which made me feel better, I couldn't get them off and using the shop was me wussing out).

And again, thanks to the Lucky8 guys. I know you stand behind things. Unfortunately that Canadian shipping is such a bastard (and I got dinged by customs). Starting to think a three hour drive down to you is worth doing now and then.

There's also a chance it's all in my head. I've got an hour drive tonight and I'll probably be driving my passengers mad with a lot of "there — do you hear it now?".

Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Usually if it is a bad shaft, the symptoms are reversed. You would feel it upon deceleration, not acceleration.
It's a rotating mass, you can feel vibration at any time if it's out of balance.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Since everyone is focused on rear driveshafts could anyone tell me whether the rotoflex to ujoint conversion is worth the trouble? Or is it better to just have a spare rotoflex? My rotoflex is 15 years old and i'm contemplating my first ever trail run (kiamichi trail in oklahoma) and being stranded is not in my playbook.
At 15 years i'd definitely carry a spare, replace it before you leave, or convert to a cardan type u-joint propshaft. I did the conversion soon as I bought my Disco, I didn't like the large piece of rubber hanging down to impact things.

The only trouble people sometimes have is removing the centralizing pin from the diff which is installed with loctite that requires heat to break the bond, then a puller to remove it.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/47742463/...Flange-Removal
Let me know if that isn't readable. For some reason it looks like crap in Firefox, but is fine in Chrome.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie_V (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i did not meen you specify no one has to take something back after it been modified pretty much industry standard.
I would accept it if it was improperly balanced from the factory and he tried to correct it. That is on us, not him. We stand behind everything we sell.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
It's a rotating mass, you can feel vibration at any time if it's out of balance.

At 15 years i'd definitely carry a spare, replace it before you leave, or convert to a cardan type u-joint propshaft. I did the conversion soon as I bought my Disco, I didn't like the large piece of rubber hanging down to impact things.

The only trouble people sometimes have is removing the centralizing pin from the diff which is installed with loctite that requires heat to break the bond, then a puller to remove it.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/47742463/...Flange-Removal
Let me know if that isn't readable. For some reason it looks like crap in Firefox, but is fine in Chrome.
Very readable; thanks!

Quick Reply: Lucky 8 propshaft vibration.