Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine randomly did the same thing about a month ago. I just turned it off the restarted it and it hasn't happened since. My cables are tight and my battery is good also.

When the M&S lights are flashing along with the D indicator on the dash then you are in 3rd gear.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D indicator on dash is not even acknowledged, as is the R. Both do not register on dash, nor on the tranny lever itself.

So what gear am I in and can I drive it to my mechanic without doing damage?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You should be ok to drive it as long as you don't need to go too far. Mine just stayed in third gear so keep an eye on the tach and don't cruise with it over 3,000 rpms.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by gbob
Hey Kernow disco....whatever you can dig up for me, much oblig'ed. FWI, couldn't persuade my MRS. to cruise up to Traverse City summer 2013 in our Motorhome. There's a swanky resort up your way (Petsoky) and looks mighty nice. Hearthside Grove is the name of the resort. Also, Mackinaw Island would be a nice place to visit.....even by bike or horse back. Anyway...whatever info you have about the M&S would be helpful.
Wish I had the answer for you now... I checked the glove box for records and apparently I'm not as organized as the previous owner. I want to say that it was a sensor issue BUT it could have been the switch. I'll call the shop on Monday so you have a more definitive answer. I was as puzzled as you when it happened.

Too bad the Mrs. didn't want to check out the area. Not trying to toot our own horn here but it's beautiful country and so much to do. It looks like you did your homework and know quite a bit about the region already...Try to convince her again - she just may say yes Mackinac Island is a bit touristy but if you can get past the surface and delve into the island center, there are treasures to be discovered. Best to get off the beaten path and try it by horseback or bike like you suggested. Have you traveled up the coast to New Hampshire and Maine? If she likes that she'll love it here although you have to replace the ocean with the Lake (although it looks every bit like the ocean) and we don't have crabs - lol.. seemed like everywhere I looked there were crab/lobster shacks lining the road in your neck of the woods. It was a long time ago when I was there, a beautiful October.... I was in my early 20's. Would love to check it out again but I don't think I'd do Logan airport - too many lanes merging into one another and it freaked the h.e. double toothpicks out of me! I was there for a long weekend visiting an old friend. Although I have good memories of the visit, there were just as many bad - we were hit by a drunk driver, our car was impounded for parking in the wrong parking lot near Newbury St. and even though I was craving seafood, my friend just wanted to eat Italian. lol.. young love. I did, however, purchase the most comfortable sneakers from a guy that appeared to have every portion of his body tattooed and pierced. I ended up wearing those shoes for well over 10 years. The best 60 bucks I ever spent!

Google the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore too if you decide to travel this way - it's a must see - not to be missed.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

wouldn't you know it.....

fired up the landy this morning and pulled it out from the house garage - holding my breath. No M/S/ lights flashing.

Maybe the trick to making sure the lights don't flare up is to hold my breath when cranking the landy over. Hmmmmm....if only that easy.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Xyz seems much more probable
As Dusty states, it may be the xyz switch on the autobox. This switch is the main source of the M&S lights appearing. Under normal circumstances the system shuts down to 'limp home mode'. I had this exact problem and wrote up a fix for the xyz switch which takes time but no cost. The replacement part for a cr*ppy little rotary switch is huge, Ł405 + 20% VAT.

Disco 2 xyz switch testing? - Land Rover Zone

Transmission Selector Switch Diagnosis & Repair

Fix Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Essential mod to stop water ingress later Extended Drain hoses for A/C - Australian Land Rover Owners

Price in UK Discovery 2 Automatic Gearbox at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Hope this helps with the problem if not only the diagnostics. Good luck, wear gloves if you take off the switch otherwise you'll lose knuckles like I did.

PS: The later switches are very similar but slightly different and easier to work on and are less complex internally due to a simpler design. Externally they look exactly the same. If you do this mod use stainless steel screws and lock nuts as they won't rust or corrode over time. Ensure the screws aren't too long as they will foul the autobox casing when refitting. I recollect I used either 4 or 5mm x 12mm long just enough to finish flush with the lock nuts.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-19-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey off road france;

thanks for post. good read. I can hold my breath for a long time, so I'll continue to do so until the problem flares up again. Besides, I'm trolling Al Gore's internet to try and find some new/used xyz switches stateside. Ebay has some used anywhere from $85 to $130 US dollars. I also have someone scouting out the same part - Bosch Part # 501320452 - and with any luck, will pick one up regardless of the outcome of my current quandary and simply place the new xyz switch in my garage LR parts bin.

Unrelated, been a huge fan of Mitsubishi cars/suvs for well over 20 years - '88 Galant, '90 Montero and now an '07 Outlander with 110k miles. Just seem to be the step-child of a vehicle; or at least here in the Northeast. Heard they are more popular in CA. How do you like your Pajero?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by gbob
Hey off road france;

thanks for post. good read. I can hold my breath for a long time, so I'll continue to do so until the problem flares up again. Besides, I'm trolling Al Gore's internet to try and find some new/used xyz switches stateside. Ebay has some used anywhere from $85 to $130 US dollars. I also have someone scouting out the same part - Bosch Part # 501320452 - and with any luck, will pick one up regardless of the outcome of my current quandary and simply place the new xyz switch in my garage LR parts bin.

Unrelated, been a huge fan of Mitsubishi cars/suvs for well over 20 years - '88 Galant, '90 Montero and now an '07 Outlander with 110k miles. Just seem to be the step-child of a vehicle; or at least here in the Northeast. Heard they are more popular in CA. How do you like your Pajero?
If you pick up an xyz switch do the mod on it and keep it for a spare just in case. The mod only costs pennies, the price of about 10 screws and a can of electrical contact spray and some petroleum jelly. but ensure you clean out the old crud well and ensure the brushes are extended and are making contact with the strip insets. You can check this out with a multimeter and also the connections at the same time from the multi plug.

Yep, the old Pajero (Montero) is a gem for it's age of 19 years although only 85k+ miles on it. Great offroad truck and almost stock with big grisly tires (Enduro Runway AT's 31 10.5 R15) and the truck is built like a Sherman. They are a serious competitor to the LR and also very comfortable to drive hence their success in the Paris Dakar for years. It was imported from Japan so a RHD. Mines a 2.8 diesel TDi with autobox with ancient mechanical fuel injection, but hey, it works OK. It even has electronic adjustable shockers for soft/medium/hard which still work well. There are prettier Paj's around but it's mechanically as good as many and cleaner under the hood than outside.

Take a look at this website in the UK and you'll see how popular they are: The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® :: View Forum - Main technical forum

Hope the dreaded M&S have gone to bed for good.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Found my records while putzing around in the garage today. It was the xyz switch. Hope this helps and you don't have to hold your breath forever