Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have not seen the inside of one of these, but because of the position on the side of the tranny when internals are cleaned up might want to put some vaseline around them, to help keep water out of contacts, or dielectric grease.

I would wonder is this sort of thing could be sprayed with some rubber undercoating spray on the outside, when guys are under their trucks, to fight off water ingress....

Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about doing something like what you stated. The new switches use to go for around $300 dollars a couple of years ago. Now they are $640. The $125 one is either used or refurbished. I rather try to clean and fix mine than buying a used on. I will also see if I can reroute the A/C drain. I hope that it is just a false contact at the plug that just needs some contact cleaner but I doubt it.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Heck, there a guy on this forum that just bought a whole Disco for less than that....

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

this is the best write up i have seen. i have done this procedure myself. i cleaned up where the gasket was and used a waterproof adhesive gasket maker...

so u get an idea on how filthy it is in there here is mine after i drilled it open.

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to tell from the close ups, but it looks like wires may be attached by the type of connector that cuts through the insulation, rather than a crimp on lug. If that is the case, might consider stripping and soldering those as well. If you are cleaning up the contacts, don't use a small file, it will remove too much plating.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Winching

Thanks for the help guys. It seems like I am finally going to be able to sort one of my trucks problems.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM

just one warning. spray the crap out of the bolt that holds the shift cable in place. and if you have to hit it with heat and then pb blaster. it is very delicate. i snapped mine and then had to replace the whole cable.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

It is most likely NOT the XYZ switch.

A blinking M and S light alone will indicate low voltage / battery under proper voltage. The condition may be intermittent.

Replace or have your alternator and battery tested.

IF it is the XYZ switch failing as a result of drainage from the AC drains, the gear display will also show a capital D with a slash through it, and it will also be flashing in conjunction with the M and S lights.

Don't replace the XYZ switch if you don't have to. This is just from my personal experiences with the same flashing lights.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

A blinking M & S can be other things as well, there are a number of codes that trigger limp home modes:

from the RAVE:

If a fault is detected, the EAT ECU immediately stores a fault code and the values of three operating parameters
associated with the fault. Depending on the fault, there are four possible effects:

l
The fault has little effect on gearbox operation or vehicle emissions. The driver will probably not notice any

change and the warning lamps remain extinguished.
l

The fault has little effect on gearbox operation but may effect vehicle emissions. On NAS vehicles, if the fault is

detected on a second consecutive drive cycle, the MIL illuminates.
l

All gears are available but kickdown does not function. The sport and manual warning lamps flash. The MIL

remains extinguished.
l

Limp home mode is selected and vehicle performance is greatly reduced. The sport and manual warning lamps
flash. In all markets, if the fault is detected on a second consecutive drive cycle, the MIL illuminates.

Of course, being an over-computerized rolling tea kettle, good alternator and up to snuff battery can cure a lot of gremlins. Code list for auto trans attached, notice last column, which shows when M&S lights will be triggered by the tranny, but there could be others...

Time for tranny fluid and filter change?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 tranny codes.pdf (1.46 MB, 485 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by dino109
It is most likely NOT the XYZ switch.

A blinking M and S light alone will indicate low voltage / battery under proper voltage. The condition may be intermittent.

Replace or have your alternator and battery tested.

IF it is the XYZ switch failing as a result of drainage from the AC drains, the gear display will also show a capital D with a slash through it, and it will also be flashing in conjunction with the M and S lights.

Don't replace the XYZ switch if you don't have to. This is just from my personal experiences with the same flashing lights.

when my xyz failed there was no slash thru the indicator.

Quick Reply: M & S lights flashing