Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making it beast.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making it beast.

So Ive changed all the fluids out on my 03 Disco and this weekend will be driving it up to Ohio where it will remain (Im in the Navy and will be attending job training before I find out my final duty station). Come Jan Im going to begin to accumlating parts to transform my humble Rover into a beast. Parts acquisition is as follows (please feel free to offer opinions and guidance as this is my first rover and off road build):

1. Locking center diff kit along with locking front and rear diffs (Im looking at ARB's air locking system).
2. ARB brush bar with 8k Warn winch.
3. Snorkel.
4. Lift and tyres (This is where I require guidance as Id like to do a 2 inch lift and would like to get bigger tyers. Id like to keep costs down in this area so my question is whats the biggest and widest tyres you can realistically fit onto the stock rims).

This is not the entire list that I have as there are things such as roof basket etc. I also want to do. My Rover will be 95% "toy" as it will remain in Ohio and be driven when Im home on leave so it will not be a daily driver. Most of the off roading I will be doing will be mudding but I would also like to check out rock climbing and such. As I said before this is my first Rover and my first off road build so any help/guidance is very much appreciated.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

have you rebuilt the front driveshaft? that should be before numbers 1,2,3 & 4.

why are you goign with the ARB bumper? its bulky, heavy and expensive. i would check out HLC of rovertym.

as for the lift i would put that on first, i would go with the terrafirma +2 HD kit from Lucky 8 around $600 for shocks and springs all around. Tires i would visit treadwright .com and check out their awesome re-treads (not your mothers retreads) for size i wouldnt go much bigger than 265/75/16 or else you are going ot have to re-gear and get HD shafts. before you get a snorkel i would get some diff guards and a skid plate for that bumper...

best of luck!