Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a copy of the key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good, except if I lose my key and my fiance only has the cut key without transponder, as i always arm the immobalizer. Figured being able to run out and make a few copy's would end up to good to be true.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you dont want to be using "superlock" all the time, if your battery dies it is almost impossible to get back into the vehicle.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Rock Crawling

NAS spec vehicles DO NOT have a transponder in the key or coil on the ignition.

The DI key reference is due to the fact that a DI key will work in a DII, are cheap, made of steel and no water issues.

As for the lock with the remote and then unlock with key and alarm issues it depends on how your BCU is programmed. Default setting from the factory is that it doesn't matter. Some dealers automatically program them so that the alarm can be disarmed by remote only.

Last edited by tee51397; 01-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
you dont want to be using "superlock" all the time, if your battery dies it is almost impossible to get back into the vehicle.
What is superlock ?

This happened to me as i locked the doors using key fob, everything ok then next day alarm sounding whilst at work. Couldnt get into the thing using key as door lock was not put back properly (didnt realise at the time). Eventually once the battery had drained and the alarm stopped.I called out a recovery service, they hitched a battery onto the alternator which was enough to power the remote unlocking. This then unlocked the doors, lesson learnt though. If the door lock had been put back properly in the first place i could of got in (son in law done this ).

Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tee51397
No transponder in the key so you're good to go. I'd get a DI key cut from the dealer as they are steel keys. The generic keys are brass which will wear and leave brass deposits in the ignition.

I will say the DII keys are pretty waterproof. Dropped mine in the pond and it took me about three days to find it but not a drop of water on the inside. It was submerged about 4 feet.
Why in the F is everyone so scared of the brass keys that you are going to be using once or twice a year? Do you really think it is going to damage the ignition? Really?
My work van has a brass key, and you know what? Not a single problem and they key is removed and inserted into the ignition more times in a single week than any of you will do with your truck in the entire time you own it.
And you know what? Not a single problem, non.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Three Wheeling

I got mine copied at Lowe's for about $2-3. I lock it remotely with my dealer key, and can then unlock and start with the copy.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Why in the F is everyone so scared of the brass keys that you are going to be using once or twice a year? Do you really think it is going to damage the ignition? Really?
My work van has a brass key, and you know what? Not a single problem and they key is removed and inserted into the ignition more times in a single week than any of you will do with your truck in the entire time you own it.
And you know what? Not a single problem, non.
Because 9 out of 10 bad DII ignitions I see are accompanied by a brass key with a worn profile. Not only does it leave deposits but as the profile of the key wears so do the pins in the ignition so that no key will work. There's a reason OE keys are made of steel and not brass.

When getting a DI key costs $10 and a new ignition costs $770 it doesn't make sense to me to chance it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I still do not see the problem with using a brass key for occasional use, and thats what we are talking about here, taking the truck to the beach and locking it and not worrying about the fob getting wet, a person could put the key on a cord and tie it to their wrist, it could get wet all day long, even salt water and not have a single negative effect on the key.